Default Dipping equipment: Wax or copper naphthenate? How? Photos?

Hello all,
    I have been considering dipping my hive equipment (pallets, boxes, migratory covers, etc) in one of these two liquids. Out of CN or wax, which is better? Which is more cost effective? What equipment is needed for each process? or is it just better to paint? With wax dipping, do you mix in any type of oil, such as linseed? Where do you get wax? Please input here. Also if you have photos of your equipment, I would love to see your setup. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by westernbeekeeper; 08-31-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Additional questions

Default Re: Dipping equipment: Wax or copper naphthenate? How? Photos?

When you say wax I assume you mean paraffin wax?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I guess parrafin is the most inexpensive and popular. I know a guy who uses a parrafin/beeswax/linseed oil mixture.

An earlier thread on wax dipping:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ank#post990596

Note the links in post #9, which also lead to more links.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks!

Well, I have been dipping my pallet parts in a barrel of water based copper solution for a few minutes , then drying before nailing together. Then painting the edges after airing out for awhile. But i haven't had bees on the new pallets(a couple of years) long enough to know if this will work out. I see some insect damage on the 2 bottom 1 bys already on some.Also ground squirrels love to chew on the plywood, treated or not.

I also dipped some lids and bottom boards in a drum of hot wax some years back. They out- lasted equipment that was not dipped but many of the plywood lids warped more than the undipped ones.

I have two SBB that come wax/propolis dipped, now, 18 months later they look bad, but may last. Now I just paint with Bher stain. Many colors and CU gives it the highest rating. I do sand and round the corners now and seal with Titebond III.
    I also use 1/4 inch plywood, painted both sides, round the corners and paint edges three times for covers. 3/4 inch plywood delaminates like crazy, even with heavy paint coatings all over. Not much winter here so don't need the heavy stuff.
    From my reading the copper solution is the absolute best to prevent rot, I just have not gone there yet.
    You are in Wyoming, high and dry?
    I have thought beeks used beeswax. No?
    Check M. Bush site I believe he dips his, may be wrong but he does not paint.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdipping.htm (This link shows how wrong memory can be!)
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Ben, I have been dipping for years, not that tobacco stuff that you put between the cheek and gum but my bee wooden ware. My two way pallets are dipped in a solution of linseed oil and beeswax heated and either brushed or dipped. I must admit that it works well on the pallets, but I prefer painting the hive bodies and supers. My couple hundred hive bodies looks like a color wheel from some cajun parade on Mardi Graux. The local paint store keeps me in affordable paint, I purchase or swap oops paint for honey, I always get the exterior good stuff and use my airless to apply several coats at a time, it works great.