Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hive bodies

Default Re: Hive bodies

Browning Cut Stock

In the last 20 years i have purchased 1000's of boxes from Mann Lake, Dadant, Browning cut stock, and Shastina. Not worth my time to make that many on my own.

If I had to rate them all I think everyone should do so in a few categories. Here are some I find at the top of my list.

1. Wood quality
    2. Quality of the cuts
    3. Availability to customize the box.
    4. Customers service.

I have had great service with all of these companies.

Since we put cleats on with the hand holds lined up with the cut outs I currently go with Shastina. ( they put them where I want them)

The best wood I have ever received was from Browning cut stock. Four pieces with knots in a 3000 box order. If I had my way I'd have Browning supply wood to Shastina. Haven't gone so far as to try to make this happen yet.

FYI: I think the wood and new cuts on the ML frames are superb if you are looking to put some frames in those new boxes.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by mnbeekeeper View Post
    there is a guy in SD. that is cuttting the joints with a lazer of some sort. the joints have a rounded touch to them not square like mann lake or dadant. also the hand grips are deeper and much better for lifting a heavy deep of honey. his prices are right on the money and i think he uses a much better quality wood than the other guys. really not impressed with mann lakes pine. i have seen boxes rot that i double dipped in oil base paint only 3 years ago.

i cant believe no one else talked about him yet..... cant think of his name or the town hes in out there but i know he has a add in bee journal
    HiveBodies.com in Hazel, SD.

Good stuff. I bought all of my supers from him. Will likely get my next batch of deeps from him, too. Highly recommend. Good prices and excellent quality.

www.hivesbodies.com
    I love the smell of nectar in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    I love the tightbond. People who don't use glue are stupid. :-) The finger-joints eventually loosen and become wobbly without glue, unless screwed.
    That's simple, just screw it.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    I love the tightbond. People who don't use glue are stupid. :-) The finger-joints eventually loosen and become wobbly without glue, unless screwed.

If I had a choice between superb paint and glue in the joints the answer would be a no Brainer. Glue on joints that are well cut, snug when assembled and stapled correctly is a waste of time. I have never had a super I assembled come apart from any type of "wiggle" dance in 30 years unless it received "forkliftitis." 25 or 30 year life paint solves a lot of box issues. Well placed glue on a frame joint is another story. I'm all for that hands down.

Stapled boxes and wax dipped last forever. No glue no paint no nothing. Painting is just for looks because wax dipped get dark after some time.

Tightbond is for frames and rabbet joints.

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    Stapled boxes and wax dipped last forever. .
    Well said.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Shastina all the way. I can place an order, stop in a week or so later and they set them on my truck. Pretty hard to beat.

Shastina

If I lived in Vancouver, i'd get them form Beeline in up in Rochester, esp if I were buying a lot of them.

Plus, it gives you an excuse to stop at Stuffy's in Longview for one of their monster cinnamon rolls.

Bees forever plastics. Deep boxes that you don't have to assemble or paint or maintain. Don't listen to people who tell you that bees don't like plastic boxes,it is not true. They cost $17.00 for a deep and they don't wear out, break down, no assebbly and no painting. In some areas of the country where snow is a issue they don't have the same r factor as wood. We still freeze here in nor cal but no snow. I am in Michigan visiting and had to help a guy (doctor) that has 2 wood hives and those suckers were stuck together so bad I pissed off the bees enough for even me to get stung trying to pry those boxes apart. He had been in them 3 days before and i could not shove a hive tool between the boxes for anything. He went into the hospital after getting stung in the nose and neck and now has to take shots and can't work bees again. He was fully suited. I actually had to put on a veil they were so bad. You can look at bees forever plastics on weebley.com

Dadant, Shastina, MannLake , Browning. Not necessarily in that order. Have gotten some good, some not so good from all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12