Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

overwintering single deeps in wisconsin

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Chip Euliss 
#1 ·
hi guys i want some in put on wintering single deeps (outside ,not indoors) this is a idea i was given ... split hives in the fall like right now :) and winter in singles i just what some input and your first reaction
thanks in advance
Jed

#4 ·
It does not take bees to overwinter, it takes stores. during the winter a colony is at it lowest numbers, usually just enough to cover the minimal brood and maintain heat in the hive. I have over wintered Nucs.
With colony winter losses higher than ever many keepers are trying to hit the winter with as many colonies as possible. The thinking is if you have 50% loss on four single deep colonies you still have two colonies if you have there is no such thing as a 50% loss on a two doubles then you only have one. single deep can be overwintered if managed properly with supplemental feeding

#5 ·
Wintering singles here is doable but a challenge due to the different winters. Wisconsin is warmer than here but colder than PA. I hear the folks in Canada not too far north of me winter singles fairly well but they do it indoors. Ian had a nice post and video on this on this forum last winter/spring. I run basically all singles and I winter them in California:D

#8 ·
Not humid in the winter, mostly a function of low precip rates in winter (June is th wettest month on average) and bitter cold temps that fall to -30 or below at times. That said water and carbon dioxide from respiration need to be vented outside to avoid ice under the lid that can melt on warm days and to keep carbon from suffocating bees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.