Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Push in intro cages

Astro, good point there. My frame was wax and as I pushed it started to move in that direction pretty badly as well, I was wishing I had ritecell insert in the frame at the time.

I spray some water on the queen so she cannot fly, then it is safe to handle her anywere, not only in the car with windows up. I prefer the plastic cages with a door, very easy to handle.

An update on my breeder queen intro: I made a couple 5x5" push in cages and pretty much followed Mike's suggestions (except I forgot to bring a towel for my lap and had to use a paper). The queens were pretty lively, and it was a bit tricky getting the cage down safely (dont dare try this outside folks). Left them for 5 days before checking them...... (pause for dramatic effect). It went perfectly, the queens were laying and surrounded by young bees and I observed no bees clinging to the cage. I pulled the cages and watched each one for a minute to see if any bees were pestering or riding her. All appeared well. I declared both intros. a success!
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Good thread. Leaving the shipping cage under the push in, and spritzing the queen with water - both good tips for butterfingers like me.

Good job Jim, i'm telling you though, if the queen cage fits under the push in... My queen has her first round of brood emerging, hopefully she makes through winter.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Good job Jim, i'm telling you though, if the queen cage fits under the push in... My queen has her first round of brood emerging, hopefully she makes through winter.
    I see your point. It can be a bit risky getting the cage down on her safely. An interesting side note. Instead of making up a nuc we selected a couple of singles whose production was a bit on the low side and killed the queens. I left them queenless for 2 days and then checked them for e-cells. All I found were just a few dry cups despite the fact that both hives had lots of eggs and open larvae. I guess the bees know when it's too late to raise a queen.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jim,

I'm glad to hear your introductions went well.

I just splurged into getting some breeder queens. I didn't use a push-in cage. I made up strong nucs and introduced the cages. Five days later the cages were empty. I haven't checked any closer than seeing lots of pollen coming in. I'm planning on doing a newspaper combine with weaker nucs to make them a 5+5 combination for the winter.

Now you've got me worrying about my queens survival!

Tom

I introduce 5 or 6 breeders each year and don't like starting with strong nucs. I start with 1 frame honey and 1 frame brood. I leave this nuc in home yard where older bees will go back home leaving young bees to accept new queens. Once out and laying I start adding frames of emerging brood to build up to stronger nuc.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

T- Broke - Like that idea, seems like a good idea to me.

Careful introducing queens this time of year with push in cages. Small hive beetle larvae moves right in if the brood isn't emerging as you push the cage in. I do mine just like Johnny. I pull a good frame of emerging brood, a few extra shakes of nurses, move it across the yard, and put a quart feeder on top. All the foragers fly back and leave the nuc begging for a queen. As soon as shes laying good they get another frame of emerging brood or a few shakes of nurses at the entrance.

Dan,

That's an excellent point! I just got a swarm that was unwilling to stay in their new home, so I cagged the queen. I went back a day later and the SHB were inside the cage with the queen. Kinda creepy.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/