Default Fall Requeening, lost queen

I removed the old queen from hive and put her in a box so I could reassemble the hive. When I got back to the house she was not in the the box. I looked around the grass where the box was but couldnt find the old queen (about 8ft away from hive). Will she try to get back in the hive, fly or crawl? It was getting late & cold out, didnt have time to recheck the hive. I have a short time to install the new queen tomorrow before it starts to rain.
    Last edited by JimC; 09-20-2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: adding text

Default Re: Fall Requeening, lost queen

Install the new queen in the cage, but do not pull the cork for her to be released. She will be o.k. for a day or two until you can determine if the old queen made it home.

If she was mated from that hive location, she will likely return. If she was mated somewhere else, she won't have oriented to that location. You will have to do a visual search for the queen in the hive all over again. She can be difficult to see when she wants to hide. Look in the corners, on the floor and inside of the boxes. She is likely there. HTH
    P.S. It helps me to look for the one bee that is different.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I got lucky !! I found the queen crawling on some empty frames that were nearby. That was a big releif. I got the queen cage installed, will start feeding & hopefully get a good winter cluster.

Usually mated queens will crawl back into the first hive they see. I seen it happen a few times. Queens will loose their orientation after a couple days being in the hive

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsouth View Post
    Usually mated queens will crawl back into the first hive they see. I seen it happen a few times. Queens will loose their orientation after a couple days being in the hive
    I'll remember that, thanks
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)