Default Bee hive in the ground

I just found a colony of bees in the ground next to my pond. At first I thought all the traffic was just my other bees coming for drink but there is a hole there and they are continuously in and out. How can I get them in to regular hive and out of the ground. Some people have said honeybees wont nest in the ground but these are definitely honey bees.

Default Re: Bee hive in the ground

They maybe Africanized , I'd suit up before I got around them.

AHB really likes to live in rock crevices, water meters cases, irrigation pipe stacks, and holes.

Nesting below ground is a trait that is seen in African bees so I would be cautious when dealing with them. It may be best to check with your states Apiary Board for the areas where the African as been found in Georgia.

My first cutout was from an underground box. I didn't have a veil then, just a hooded sweatshirt and the screen off my front door I spent about an hour using my crude beevac before I popped the lid, by then they were too demoralized to stage much of an assault. I would close off their entrance somehow and gather the guards through a small opening with a beevac in your situation. Clear out any livestock before you go in, don't make any headlines.
    Last edited by Pipiyolti; 08-29-2013 at 02:04 PM.

According to the USDA there are no AHB in GA, I'm just saying...
    What are words for when no one listens anymore.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/doc...d=11059&page=6

I did receive a response a few months ago to an email about the outdated map and was told nothing has changed since 2011 and that they would update this Autumn (I'm guessing the "date" only after getting that reply).
    What are words for when no one listens anymore.

vcd1363, do you have pictures of the bees?
    Everytime i've been called out to look at a swarm in the ground that was definitely honey bees, they have turned out to be yellow jackets. I'm not saying they are or they are not yellow jackets, just that pictures would be a help. I am not the most experienced, so please don't take offense. With my opinion and $4.95 you should be able to get a cup of coffee, but not more than that.

--- marty ---

"I would close off their entrance somehow and gather the guards through a small opening with a vac in your situation"

I'm just wondering here is we are trying to relocate these bees in a professional manner, or exterminate them..
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    "I would close off their entrance somehow and gather the guards through a small opening with a vac in your situation"

I'm just wondering here is we are trying to relocate these bees in a professional manner, or exterminate them..
    Sorry.. beevac, I figured it was implied.

No way around it, you will have to dig slowly to recover the bees and honeycomb. You might combine them with another hive if you don't have a small house for them.

I've taken two colonies from water meter boxes in the last twelve months. Both were no more aggressive than they had a right to be with me tearing their combs apart. I did the first cut out in October last year because I needed a queen and she overwintered well. The other colony had attacked a guy using a trimmer around the box. My two colonies probably were not AHB, but, in-ground nests are supposed to be more prevalent with AHB.

Dress for the worst and hope for the best.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by vcd1363 View Post
    I just found a colony of bees in the ground next to my pond
    Some people have said honeybees wont nest in the ground but these are definitely honey bees.
    ARE they in a log in the ground or some other item
    I can't imagine how they could would make a cavity in the mud

If they are in something like a log
    Is your weather good enough to do a trap out

I have seen ground bees up here that you would swear are honey bees but they are much smaller. They are totally not aggressive even when you drive over them with a lawn mower or put a shovel full of dirt over the entrance. They just dig it back out again. I don't think the colony gets much bigger than 100 bees.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping