Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Shook out hive to rid laying worker

>The only problem is that at a certain point, you weaken the donor hives.

If you take frames of eggs and very young brood without the adhering bees and swap it with a drawn comb from the other hive, it makes no difference at all. They have very little invested in eggs. The queen can lay thousands a day. They have a lot invested in capped brood as they had to gather a frame worth of pollen, a frame worth of honey and a frame worth of water to raise them to where they are capped.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I had laying workers on a new hive started from a package. Fortunately I had another hive started from a nuc and was able to place frames of open brood and they raised a new queen. It took me 3 frames and I actually transferred 2 frames with the bees still on them. The hive is doing good now but I am worried about it making it through the winter.
    Good luck
    Jeff

I must be super lucky, I opened the hive yesterday and the queen has been accepted and has begun to lay eggs

Now if they can just store enough sug/water to last through the winter

Shaking out demoralizes and confuses them enough that a queen is sometimes accepted that way. Adding open brood even for 24 hours greatly improves her acceptance. If you did those two things you had fair odds. I find it also depends on how long they have had laying workers. If they are still at the stage where they are trying to raise queen cells with the laying worker eggs, they are usually in the mood to accept a queen.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12