Default Wax moths...control?

Greetings...new to beekeeping. Was told there is no wax moth in my area...by bee supply owner who is also a Master Beekeeper. She checked 1/2 the hives for wellness about 3 weeks and we saw no evidence of anything unusual.

I have sbb that usually are in place...recently removed for ventilation during varroa treatment.

Two hives..from purchased nucs...that sit side by side had a lot of moths, larvae and pupae in the bottom debris. None of the honey supers had any evidence of them when pulled off fully capped frames. We are storing those frames in plastic bags indoors rather than extracting now as some other hives that are weak may need extra stores for winter. The hives with the moths in the bottom debris don't appear to be weak.

Is it normal to have only 2 of 15 hives visibly affected?

How will I best manage this?

These were purchased nucs on very old looking frames...could I have inadvertently introduced wax moths into this area on contaminated frames?

Could it be some other similar looking moth? These hives are situated amongst grape vines.

They looked pretty much like images I have seen on google images.

Thanks for any instruction.

Default Re: Wax moths...control?

Store the super frames in a freezer they will have eggs that will soon hatch and destroy the frames/comb
    Crowd the hives as much as you can with no empty space
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Will they destroy it when full of honey? How long do they need to remain frozen? It will take a lot of freezer space

Bt is legal in Canada, I think its sold by beekeeping supply stores as certan b401
    Once the temp there is below freezing there wont be a moth problem in stored combs.
    Dan

48 hrs is considered enough
    You can rotate them in if you don't wait till they hatch
    They poop as they go and yes that ruins the honey
    Crowd the hives so they can police themselves
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

wbvc, how are the two nucs with the wax moths? were they able to recover?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives