Default Suggestions for equipment

I'm still getting equipment together to get ready for our first hive. I'm stuck on which veil and gloves to get now. I don't want to spend a fortune on the protective clothing and would prefer to keep it minimal due to our hot summers. Suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: Suggestions for equipment

If you are planning on just a veil, one option is to make your own:
    http://www.klamathbeekeepers.org/Bee..._a_budget.html

I use disposable nitrile or latex gloves. Yes, it is possible to get stung through such gloves, but your fingers are much more nimble with thin gloves.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Thanks for the link! It helps that I'm a seamstress. I almost ordered a pair of leather gloves from Mann Lake but my only worry is that they would be too thick and cumbersome. You've got me thinking that maybe I could just buy some leather gloves from a local store and sew on some elasticized canvas to the cuffs.

If you really don't want to spend money get an onion sack from your food store, wear your winter coat and gloves.

Now how serious are you about not spending anything!

> and sew on some elasticized canvas to the cuffs.

Or make yourself a pair of arm "gaitors" similar to these:
    http://www.gardengaiter.com/ARMWEAR.php
    and use them with any gloves.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

It might help to know WHERE in Texas. If you are anywhere close to AHB areas, you might want to consider having a bee suit available to you even though you may not need it on a regular basis. Personally I work in a veil and shirtsleeves but there are no known pockets of AHB here in Alabama. Now if I was still back in Florida, I might not wear a suit, but I'd want one available.

JMO

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Hahaha!!! I'm not broke! Yet! I'll get back with you after I purchase a few more hives.
    I don't like buying anything online that I don't know what it feels like or how it will fit. Therefore, I don't buy any clothes online either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    It might help to know WHERE in Texas. If you are anywhere close to AHB areas, you might want to consider having a bee suit available to you even though you may not need it on a regular basis. Personally I work in a veil and shirtsleeves but there are no known pockets of AHB here in Alabama. Now if I was still back in Florida, I might not wear a suit, but I'd want one available.

JMO

Rusty
    I'm located in central Texas. Bulverde to be exact. Just got done with the triple digit temps here. So, obviously, keeping cool as well as sting free are my top priorities.

Budget: Buy just a veil the kind where string around your chest. Wear clothes and gloves you have around the house.

Thumbs Up Re: Suggestions for equipment

FWIW, visibility in all veils is not equal. I have a 30 year old veil that I see well with. It looks like this one. My veil has fewer lines in the field of vision, that makes it easier to see eggs or mites. I've purchased three jackets and two other veils this year, they all obscure visibility!!!!!! Can't believe the big boys do not insist their products are made to see bees, not protect you from chiggers or no see ums! HTH
    Last edited by Lburou; 08-29-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I sewed a gauntlet onto some well fitting leatehr gloves, but ultimately, they go unused. I don't like to use up all of my nitril gloves, so most of the time i wear dishwashing gloves. They are actually some sort of ehavy duty painting/chemical gloves, but they are darn near identical to dishwashing gloves. So far, the only downside i see to them is that fingers are just a little bit too long, but they are way better that the fit of leather gloves. I have had a bee sting the dishwashing gloves once, but it didn't get through to me somehow.

I buy the doeskin or buckskin gloves and tuck them into the sleeves of my jacket with a zip on veil... Then buy a cheap veil (like a bug baffler head net etc.) that will fit in your pocket for those times you only want to keep them out of your face and it's too hot for the jacket...

http://www.bugbaffler.com/products.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Gloves...I got mine at Home Depot..they're the deerskin which are really soft and form to fit your hand. Then my wife sewed the gauntlet with elastic to them and they work great. I think I'll make one of those veils with hat that was suggested in a thread earlier....other than that....wht t-shirt tucked into my jeans and a long sleeved thick wht shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by chickintexas View Post
    I'm located in central Texas. Bulverde to be exact. Just got done with the triple digit temps here. So, obviously, keeping cool as well as sting free are my top priorities.
    You *hope* we're done with triple digits! I'm near Bastrop, so same general area. I'm getting started as well, so hopefully what one of us learns, the other can benefit from...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I buy the doeskin or buckskin gloves and tuck them into the sleeves of my jacket with a zip on veil... Then buy a cheap veil (like a bug baffler head net etc.) that will fit in your pocket for those times you only want to keep them out of your face and it's too hot for the jacket...

http://www.bugbaffler.com/products.htm
    Hahahaha!!!! The full body bug baffler cracks me up!

>The full body bug baffler cracks me up!

I tried the jacket and no shirt. Got stung a lot.... Especially when it was stuck down with sweat...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF