Hybrid View

Default Suggestions for equipment

I'm still getting equipment together to get ready for our first hive. I'm stuck on which veil and gloves to get now. I don't want to spend a fortune on the protective clothing and would prefer to keep it minimal due to our hot summers. Suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: Suggestions for equipment

If you are planning on just a veil, one option is to make your own:
    http://www.klamathbeekeepers.org/Bee..._a_budget.html

I use disposable nitrile or latex gloves. Yes, it is possible to get stung through such gloves, but your fingers are much more nimble with thin gloves.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Thanks for the link! It helps that I'm a seamstress. I almost ordered a pair of leather gloves from Mann Lake but my only worry is that they would be too thick and cumbersome. You've got me thinking that maybe I could just buy some leather gloves from a local store and sew on some elasticized canvas to the cuffs.

If you really don't want to spend money get an onion sack from your food store, wear your winter coat and gloves.

Now how serious are you about not spending anything!

Hahaha!!! I'm not broke! Yet! I'll get back with you after I purchase a few more hives.
    I don't like buying anything online that I don't know what it feels like or how it will fit. Therefore, I don't buy any clothes online either.

> and sew on some elasticized canvas to the cuffs.

Or make yourself a pair of arm "gaitors" similar to these:
    http://www.gardengaiter.com/ARMWEAR.php
    and use them with any gloves.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

It might help to know WHERE in Texas. If you are anywhere close to AHB areas, you might want to consider having a bee suit available to you even though you may not need it on a regular basis. Personally I work in a veil and shirtsleeves but there are no known pockets of AHB here in Alabama. Now if I was still back in Florida, I might not wear a suit, but I'd want one available.

JMO

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    It might help to know WHERE in Texas. If you are anywhere close to AHB areas, you might want to consider having a bee suit available to you even though you may not need it on a regular basis. Personally I work in a veil and shirtsleeves but there are no known pockets of AHB here in Alabama. Now if I was still back in Florida, I might not wear a suit, but I'd want one available.

JMO

Rusty
    I'm located in central Texas. Bulverde to be exact. Just got done with the triple digit temps here. So, obviously, keeping cool as well as sting free are my top priorities.

Budget: Buy just a veil the kind where string around your chest. Wear clothes and gloves you have around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by chickintexas View Post
    I'm located in central Texas. Bulverde to be exact. Just got done with the triple digit temps here. So, obviously, keeping cool as well as sting free are my top priorities.
    You *hope* we're done with triple digits! I'm near Bastrop, so same general area. I'm getting started as well, so hopefully what one of us learns, the other can benefit from...