Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default DIY Honey Extractor

    After many hours at Lowe's and in my garage, I have a spinning Frankenstein in a barrel almost ready to throw some honey!

    https://plus.google.com/photos/11826...80936421259665

    Comments are welcome!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    IT'S ALIVE!! Very cool. How did you get it to spin so freely and smoothly. Is it pivoting on the threaded rod? Great job.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Weeki Wachee, Florida,USA
    Posts
    1,953

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Looks good!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manning, SC
    Posts
    2,070

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Cool..You'll have to let us know how it works in practice! How many cans of Coors Light did it take you to build it?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Waterloo, ON, Canada
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Beautiful! Did you design it yourself, or work from plans?

    The only thing I'd worry about with the plastic bin is if there's enough weight at the bottom?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by CesarBeeCool View Post
    IT'S ALIVE!! Very cool. How did you get it to spin so freely and smoothly. Is it pivoting on the threaded rod? Great job.
    The shaft is 1/2" all thread. It moves with the bin that holds the frames. It has a bearing at it s base and near the top. I used the all thread so I could easily attach a bearing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    double post oops

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbannewbee View Post
    Beautiful! Did you design it yourself, or work from plans?

    The only thing I'd worry about with the plastic bin is if there's enough weight at the bottom?
    I didnt have any plans. I used these 2 as visual guides.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/81663205@N04/
    http://www.littlehouseonthebighill.c...php?detail=125

    I wouldn't worry about it moving around. I'm building a stand today. It will be quite stationary when I am done.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Louisburg, NC
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    If you guys want to see a good set of plans Google 'Bush mechanic' for an excellent extractor. It uses a 55 gal plastic food grade barrel, a threaded rod set in 2 bearings set into wooden cross bars and 2 bicycle rims to hold the frames. I made one for a demo on a development project I worked on in Malawi 3 years ago and it works like a charm. I ran it with a 1/2 inch drill and used a Mann lake honey gate. Great, simple design. The only trick is to find a set of bicycle rims that fit inside the barrel. I spray painted everything with oil based spray paint and ran 10 medium supers through it for a trial.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by wglord View Post
    If you guys want to see a good set of plans Google 'Bush mechanic' for an excellent extractor. It uses a 55 gal plastic food grade barrel, a threaded rod set in 2 bearings set into wooden cross bars and 2 bicycle rims to hold the frames. I made one for a demo on a development project I worked on in Malawi 3 years ago and it works like a charm. I ran it with a 1/2 inch drill and used a Mann lake honey gate. Great, simple design. The only trick is to find a set of bicycle rims that fit inside the barrel. I spray painted everything with oil based spray paint and ran 10 medium supers through it for a trial.
    Sounds like a good build. Mine is quite similar, rather than bike rims I made the cage to hold my frames out of wood and Aluminum. Its also made from a 55gal plastic barrel and will hold 10 deep frames.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Menomonee Falls, Wis.
    Posts
    2,662

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Duh!!! And here I am making mine out of 304 stainless. Maybe I will get it finished before the snow flies.

    Crazy Roland

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Duh!!! And here I am making mine out of 304 stainless. Maybe I will get it finished before the snow flies.

    Crazy Roland
    I would have preferred a stainless steal cage, I just don't have the means to construct one.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Menomonee Falls, Wis.
    Posts
    2,662

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    The "cage" is coming along, most of the pieces are made, only need to cut/bend up about 180 more.

    Crazy Roland

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    nice I spun 10 frames through mine today. Yield was about 3 gallons of honey.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Worked like a charm.

    1 deep super extracted!

    IMAG0706_BURST001.jpg

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,490

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by mroark View Post
    ...I made the cage to hold my frames out of wood...
    This is what concerns me. Are you going to sell honey? How you could clean-up internal parts including the wood? It looks like your lower bearing will touch the honey, is this true? Also, it looks like your "cage" may be weak for 10 full of honey frames. Sorry for critique.
    Серёжа, Sergey

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    This is what concerns me. Are you going to sell honey? How you could clean-up internal parts including the wood? It looks like your lower bearing will touch the honey, is this true? Also, it looks like your "cage" may be weak for 10 full of honey frames. Sorry for critique.
    The wood is coated with the food safe butcher-block oil, clean up was a snap. The lower bearing is mounted to a stand under the 22.5" spinning wood disk. The stand is raised 8 inches off the bottom of the barrel. The honey free flows from the extractor into a bucket. No honey will ever touch that bearing. I ran 10 frames in it yesterday with no issues.
    Last edited by mroark; 07-09-2013 at 08:48 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    I have built at least 3 different extractors in my mind and all of the failed "in my mind" before I read your post. I utilized some of your ideas and I did not think they'd work. Do you mind if I ask some questions to compare my theoretical to your actual experience?

    1. The bottom wheel. You have plywood disk, an outer metal ring and bolts sticking out of the ring. What is the inside diameter of the barrel and what is the diameter of the wheel. It seems you have very tight clearances, do the bolts scrape the sides of the barrel?

    2. You are using a clean frame to design the extractor, but honey frames can be as wise as 2 inches on the sides. Do you find that bottoms of the frames maybe are too crowded on your extractor making extraction difficult?

    3. When you spin the frames, does the cage travel up and down allthread, even when tightly bolted? (I've concluded that I need to weld the cage to the vertical althread to prevent that) In addition, it seems that radial althreads (top ring) bend when rotated. Is that a significant issue, or do you figure that clock and counterclock wise spinning counterbend them.

    4. You don't show any braces or dowels on the top ring to nest the topbars. Was that added later or do you operate without those? I would think that frames would be falling all over the place without them.

    I realize there are a lot of questions, but I really like your design, so you got me thinking if many different directions. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by AramF; 09-03-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tulsa, Ok
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Quote Originally Posted by AramF View Post
    I have built at least 3 different extractors in my mind and all of the failed "in my mind" before I read your post. I utilized some of your ideas and I did not think they'd work. Do you mind if I ask some questions to compare my theoretical to your actual experience?

    1. The bottom wheel. You have plywood disk, an outer metal ring and bolts sticking out of the ring. What is the inside diameter of the barrel and what is the diameter of the wheel. It seems you have very tight clearances, do the bolts scrape the sides of the barrel?

    Quite tight clearances. The plywood disk has about 1/2 clearance the Aluminium is 1/8" and the screws used to attach it to the plywood are counter sunk into the aluminium. It did hit the barrel when I was getting it balanced but it spins clear now. I have exact numbers here somewhere but I cannot find them and the extractor is out in the barn till next year.

    2. You are using a clean frame to design the extractor, but honey frames can be as wise as 2 inches on the sides. Do you find that bottoms of the frames maybe are too crowded on your extractor making extraction difficult?

    Its a bit of a squeeze to get the last frame in but even on the fat ones I was able to get all 10 frames in place.

    3. When you spin the frames, does the cage travel up and down allthread, even when tightly bolted? (I've concluded that I need to weld the cage to the vertical althread to prevent that) In addition, it seems that radial althreads (top ring) bend when rotated. Is that a significant issue, or do you figure that clock and counterclock wise spinning counterbend them.

    Where the all thread goes through the plywood disk there is a washer on each side of the wood. Then there is a nut on each side of the washer and then a nylock nut below the bottom nut and above the top nut. I used a similar setup to lock the bottom baring in place. I ran 40 frames of honey with 0 travel. I used allthread because I couldn't find a bearing with a set screw locally and I do not have a welder. As far as bending goes the top of the shaft did bend on me but only when the drill got lose during testing. It was too long (I didn't cut it off yet) and when the drill jumped out of my had it bent the shaft. I plan to add a treadmill motor to the mix next year and the portion of the shaft with the portion of the shaft extending beyond the top bearing being much shorter I do not anticipate any issues with bending.


    4. You don't show any braces or dowels on the top ring to nest the topbars. Was that added later or do you operate without those? I would think that frames would be falling all over the place without them.

    I thought I would need something to hold the tops of the frames in place but I did not. The notch where the frames sit in the bottom disk seemed to be enough to keep them vertical. That and centrifugal force.

    I realize there are a lot of questions, but I really like your design, so you got me thinking if many different directions. Thanks in advance.
    I plan to replace the Plastic Barrel with a 200qt (50 gallon) aluminium stock pot. This will give me a good bit more clearance in the diameter department. I'll dig up my exact measurements. The Plastic Barrel is a bit of a pain. I had to make a ring with tabs to hold the top round and out after I cut it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

    Thanks, this is very helpful.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads