Default Feeding for Winter Buildup

Hey everyone, could I please get an exact ratio of sugar to water for my feeding going into the fall and winter for buildup.

Thanks in advance for this information

Default Re: Feeding for Winter Buildup

2--sugar-----1 water --for winter build up

poppy,
    Up here in southern NY I feed 2:1 sugar : water. Reason being is that there is much less water the bees have to evaporate off the syrup.
    A 4 lb. bag of sugar to 1 qt hot water so the sugar dissolves. Sometimes I heat it on the stove in a pot, just don't burn it.
    I also add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, seems they take it better and it reduces the ph.
    For larger amounts: 8 lb. sugar to 1/2 gal water + 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar, and 16 lbs sugar to 1 gal.+ tablespoon cider vinegar.
    You might get away with 1:1 in NC, ask some local beekeepers.
    For 1:1
    4 lb bag sugar to 1/2 gal water + teaspoon cider vinegar. For larger amounts 8 lbs sugar to 1 gal water + tablespoon cider vinegar. You Probably don't have to heat the 1:1 to dissolve the sugar, just use very warm water.
    Other beekeepers have their own mixes- but the above is what I use.
    Last edited by clyderoad; 08-28-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo

I usually feed 1:1 in August, heading into September. This will build up some of the population numbers after the dearth we usually get in July (and the robbing that results). Switching to 2:1 in mid September, if they need it. The 2:1 helps them put on weight, but doesn't allow them to build up as much as 1:1.

I thought that a 1:1 ratio is 5 lbs bag of sugar for 1 gallon of water. I got that from an online source. It made sense to me because it is a very convenient measurement, when sugar came in 5 lbs bags.

I guess I'm kinda like Forrest Gump, I'm not very smart, I try to do a 1:1 by measuring 16 oz. of sugar with 16 oz. of water, add 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar, and a 1/2 teaspoon of HBH.
    I'm successful at them taking it quickly.
    One can build these numbers depending on how much syrup one whats to make!

I believe the 1:1 ratio is by weight, not volume. 1 pint of water is 1 pound.

autumn feed is 2:1 - 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. Weight or volume for measurement doesn't mater as water & sugar are pretty much equivalent.

I'm finding the fastest way for me to make autumn syrup is to put a Homer bucket from Home Depot on a scale while filling from the kitchen sink. I use an immersion heater to heat the water to make dissolving the sugar a bit easier.

I find a key to fall feeding for weight gain is to feed lots of syrup quickly so that the bees store the syrup instead of consuming it for current needs. I use Mike Palmer's method of using 1 gallon paint cans inverted directly on the top bars of the upper box, with an empty box surrounding the paint cans. Last year I fed as much as 4 gallons at once to a severely under weight hive. 1 gallon of syrup works out to a very rough 10 pounds of stores - it is what I use my figuring anyway and yes I know that it isn't precise.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

It doesn't matter. The bees still drink it.

I read on here earlier that "a pint's a pound the world 'round." So four pints sugar to four pounds water = 1:1. Eight pounds sugar to four pints water = 2:1.

I always give each batch a good squirt of lemon juice.

Honey B Healthy can be added, but it can cause robbing.

Heat the water before adding sugar. You can boil the water, but don't boil the water with sugar in it.

Good luck!

(I have also noticed that the bees use it no matter if I mix it exactly or if I guess at the ratio.)
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

This is all bro measurements. Lol. I think i will keep with my calculations. Maybe i shud trade mark it.

A pint's a pound the world around-- twenty pounds sugar, twelve pints water, two drops thyme oil, and three squeezed lemons...that yields three gallons of syrup, with a five to three ratio
    Last edited by DocHivetool; 08-29-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Green horn giving advice

I can't get my bees to take 2:1 with a splash of cider vinegar.
    Does that mean they are content with their stores ?

1st year beek, i dunno. One hive is out on the porch tonight just hanging out @62* F.

I always feed the same...5:3. I believe I saw M Bush recommend this, so I tried it and it works well for me. I put just under 2 gallons of water to 25 lbs of sugar. I get about 5 gallons at a time. I make it up using a big stainless pot on a turkey fryer burner. Takes no time at all. I don't put additives in other than HBH, but I have to watch for robbing. I will even use HBH as a drench in a couple of weeks. I did this last year and my hives all survived the winter and absolutely exploded in the spring. Can't say HBH had anything to do with it, but I thought I'd try it again this year.

for just under a gallon of 1:1, I do 8 cups of water to 8 cups of sugar.

Glen

This is so arbitrary: in the responses i am seeing volume to weight and volume to volume to make the 1:1 ratio. One person had 1 lbs(16 oz by weight) of sugar to 1 pint (16 oz by volume) to make 1:1. Another had 1 cup of sugar (8 oz by volume; dry) to 1 cup of water (8 ox by volume). I guess they are both 1:1 ratio, but the consistency and the properties of the syrup are not close

I go strictly by weight.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto487 View Post
    I guess they are both 1:1 ratio, but the consistency and the properties of the syrup are not close
    I've never noticed a difference in how fast the bees take the syrup, either mixing by weight or by volume.

Does one make a more consistent 1:1 mixture over another? Sure. But does it really matter? No.