Default Misplaced Workers Find a New Home?

No, this isn't an immigration thread, well maybe it is, sort of.

If a worker gets displaced from its hive, say the hive is moved while the worker is out, will the displaced bee find a new a hive, or is that it for the bee?

Best,

Chris

Default Re: Misplaced Workers Find a New Home?

Yes, if there are hives in the area, they will "beg" (as M. Bush puts it) their way into the other hives. If there are not hives in the area, they will die.

Some beekeepers use this as a solution to a laying worker hive. Instead of letting the entire hive die, they take the hive and shake all the bees out in the middle of the apiary. The bees, having no home to go back to, strengthen the other hives as they beg their way in. Disclaimer: I've never done it.
    Try it. What could happen?

Check out our FB page below. I have a video of a few hundred bees finding a new home in my new nuc.

I also do a lot of cutouts. often there are a few hundred bees that are just leftover. I cant always go back every day to pick up stragglers. in some instances I have gone back a few days later and they are gone, I find no dead bees to speak of so I always assumed they found existing hives to join