I'd love some feedback on the trap-out I just set. The homeowners wanted the traffic pattern of the bees lowered -- they were at head-height and the neighbors were really worried about getting stung in the face. They need to bees out to remove the (dead) tree - I realize I probably won't get the queen out unless I cut her out.
I have one frame of open and sealed brood in the box. It's been 2 days and the few bees that have joined that hive have started building a queen cell. Meanwhile, most of the bees that are making it out of the hive in the tree are just gathering back up top where their entrance used to be.
I saw this kind of trap-out at my local bee store - I realize that having the hive so far away is not ideal. I'm wondering if anyone has done it this way, or if you think this is just bound to fail.