Default Any help locating hive position in a tree

Have 2 more trees with bees inside them. Will try to look at them later this week. Bees have to go, the people have young grandkids that are climbing age and they have been letting them sort of run all over the back pasture. Both trees in the back pasture.

The trees are lined up to be removed with a trachoe with thumb and dumped on the burn pile to get rid of the bees in a week or two. So a trap out is not feasible. They want the bees gone.

What is the easiest method to locate the hive other than drilling into the tree.? I was thinking of falling the upper limbs and then just trying to split the tree with the chain saw. Not coming up with any good ideas without seeing the tree. Hope to visit them Friday.

If possible would like to get the colony and would likely requeen. Seeing too many aggressive bees around here. Really aggressive bees. Like 50+ on the vale at once trying to sting me. Hehehee it is getting fun.

Default Re: Any help locating hive position in a tree

If you're competent to do the aw work, I'd cut a piece of screen about as bid as the cross section of the tree, and top the tree, bringing the screen and a stapler with me.

Keep cutting top in small sections until you find the bee cavity, and screen the end to keep the bees in.

If the trachoe s available to you, you can then rig the section w/ bees to the hoe and support its weight as you cut the bottom until you have a mangeable section.

It should then be simple to lower the log, stand it on end supported by the hoe, and take a slice from the side of the log to access the hive and do a cut out.

If you're not confident with your skill as a topper, rigger, or hoe operator, and don't have someone who is, the best way to locate them is... don't.

If you don't have those skills, let the hive go, as they aren't worth the sorts of injuries a noob mistake can cause when you do these things.

Default Re: Any help locating hive position in a tree

You will have to go out and take a look to see what kind of tree, how big it is, what shape it is, etc. You could do as Beregondo has said, but being up in the air with a chain saw isn't my idea of fun. However, if you are comfortable with it, do it that way.

The other option would be to fell the whole tree and then start cutting. Provided the tree stays intact, and the bees can get into the entrance you can then cut safely on the ground until you find the colony. Screen it off on both ends.

If the Trachoe is available, set the log up on end or even just load it up on your truck and take it home. Set it up so it's upright at home, cover the top with a weather resistant cover and let the bees overwinter in the log.

If the Trachoe is not available, then just fell the tree, cut back and find the colony on both ends and screen the ends. Wait a day of two for them to settle down, and then go back and cut the log in half and do the cutout.

Kind of late in the year, but I know if you don't get them, they are going to die anyway. But the easiest thing would be (if the Trachoe is right there) to load it up on your pickup, bring it home, set it up and let them overwinter in the log. Get them out next Spring.

Good luck.