Default cutting sheet fiberglass

I got a real good deal on some 3/4 inch fiberglass sheets. I thought that I could make some durable tops from it, but was wondering if anyone ever used a table saw to cut fiberglass sheet? If so, any special precautions?

Thanks
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Default Re: cutting sheet fiberglass

Special for sure. Full face, fitted, respirator mandatory. Glass fibres and plastic powder. The dust gets in your clothes and may make you itch something fierce. I have worked with it in the form of large diameter piping in the paper mills and power plants. I hate it!

3/4" thick?? Wow...thats some thick fiberglass...Well for one....use a super fine blade...one that is specific to fine woodworking and plastics. looks like it's got a zillion teeth on it.
    and...this is the most important...when cutting it....I'd use a facemask to keep from inhaling the fibreglass. Definitly dont wanna mess up your lungs to save a buck.

if you can cut it wet...... water helps lube, and dust

I have cut both fiberglass and vinyl siding with a circular saw....as Santa Caras said...with a super fine-toothed blade. However, in order to reduce the amount of cutting debris, mount the blade so it runs backwards.

Be sure your next shower is a cold one or you'll be itching for days.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Looks like I'll be breaking out my respirator and tyvek suit.

Also, sorry about the post in Commercial Beekeeping Forum. I had intended to post in the Equipment Forum.....
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

AstroBee-

Not sure what equipment you have...but if you have a "Saw Stop" be careful what you cut on there.

In college I set the Saw Stop in our shop off when I was cutting Acrylic. No one knew that it could trigger the mechanism. And another guy I use to work with set one off with another material.

Just in case you have that for a table saw.

Other wise, go slow when cutting fiberglass.

Maybe you should look into putting a Regular fine toothed wood blade into a tile saw... I would think the water would be a definite bonus

I cut thinner fiberglass sheet all the time here at work, I use a diamond blade for cutting porcelain tile. That with a wet tile saw may be the perfect combination, although may be a little rough on the pump for the saw.