Thread: question

Default question

I have a question for anyone. My bees swarmed on Sunday morning and left what looks like several thousand smaller bees.I looked in the hive today and most of the honey they worked on all summer is gone. I guess the bees that swarmed took most of the honey with them.i really did not know they did that.My question is do the bees that are left have enough time to store honey to make thru the winter?

Default Re: question

Only a second year beekeeper hear but I would think they have been eating it the last few weeks. You can start feeding that will help but should be geeting a fall bloom soon. But the big thing to worry about is do you have a queen started or is there any eggs in the hive for them to start a queen cell.

Is this your only Hive?

> My question is do the bees that are left have enough time to store honey to make thru the winter?

Maybe.

But a bigger question is the status of the new queen. Normally the existing queen will leave with the swarm, and in preparation for swarming, the bees will raise a new queen. But there can be significant hazards and delay before a new queen is mated and laying eggs to raise winter bees.

What signs of a possible new queen, or queen cells, do you see?

BeeMath numbers:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Yes there are egges in the hive and I think there are a couple of queen cells.I know they are bigger than regular cells.I have 2 hives one is a TBH and the other is a langstroth hive.I wanted to see which one I liked the best when I started out this spring.I really like the TBH the best.Anyway thanks for your help.

they fill their bellies with honey before they swarm.
    they leave the house bees and the brood behind for the new queen to deal with.
    they don't care about the stores left in the hive that isn't their problem.