Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Default Re: I don't understand this complaint about treatment free beekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ives View Post
    Why does my neighbor down the road that does $5-10 million in honey sales according to manta.com asking me how to keep bees?????
    You should be asking him how to keep bees!!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Better yet Barry... YOU CALL HIM..... See what he says.......

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    By the way, he's TF and SF now.....

How about 'Hybrid Swarm Probiotic'?

I've been trying to come up with a name that actually reflects the model being used.

'Hybrid Swarm' the name given to the EHB/AHB hybrids of Texas. They're probably also the source of most feral resistant colonies in the U.S. .

'Probiotic' refers to protecting the microflora associated with honeybee nutrition. If your bees are only consuming their own honey and pollen, that's probiotic.

So, is 'Hybrid Swarm Probiotic' doable?

Or, how about 'Probiotic Hybrid Swarm' ?

They're probiotic.

They're resistant hybrid EHB/AHB.

And, you're controlling swarm instincts to advantage.

Probiotic Hybrid Swarm.

It's got something.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    How about 'Hybrid Swarm Probiotic'?

I've been trying to come up with a name that actually reflects the model being used.

'Hybrid Swarm' the name given to the EHB/AHB hybrids of Texas. They're probably also the source of most feral resistant colonies in the U.S. .

'Probiotic' refers to protecting the microflora associated with honeybee nutrition. If your bees are only consuming their own honey and pollen, that's probiotic.

So, is 'Hybrid Swarm Probiotic' doable?
    I've called them unadulterated genetics. Since they haven't been in the hands of someone who is clueless about HONEY bees.

OT:

Flighty, drippy, they came out up between the frames.

Mine are mostly flighty, and agitated.
    We used to have bees like this in Hawaii; however, when the varroa came in, they basically disappeared like all the other non treated bees.
    Thought you should know.

I'm leaning towards Probiotic Hybrid Swarm.

It's definitely 'hipster'.

Of course, if a hipster actually had to work with these bees....

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    Okay, okay. I created a monster.
    Not really. It just seemed appropriate.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

OT:

It's not in any book I've read.

It's an undocumented behavior/management technique.

There could literally be empty space on either side of drawn/filled frames. They'll keep moving up.

I pulled them up. I couldn't believe it.

Tim was right.

I thought it was in "The Secret".

Not "50 Shades of Gray"?

Perhaps it was "Victor Victoria" ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Victoria
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I wish I understood some of this discussion. I do understand how to super bees to maximize both honey production and beekeeper efficiency. Making a good honey crop isnt really rocket science, it takes a lot of field aged bees to make honey, they need a lot of empty space above the brood nest to encourage hoarding and they need a nectar source. We give pretty much every hive 3 mediums at the start of the main white honey flow. If every hive isn't good enough to super then we haven't done our job well. Quite often if the flow is heavy we follow up with an additional super where needed and move a boxes around as needed to make the most efficient use of our equipment. We take off that early crop and super back with newly extracted combs which seems to really stimulate additional production. This allows us to segregate our earliest whitest honey and have found that its easier for the bees to quickly fill up boxes directly above the brood nest than to place them on top of a tall hive. The biggest problem with putting on too many boxes is that too often hives just work right up through the middle if the flow is poor and we have to either sort through lots of comb or just run lots and lots of part full frames which don't like to run through an automated extracting system very well.
    I keep hearing all this talk about losses or the lack of them. It's not an issue I worry about or even keep track of that much. Our spring "losses" are the 10 to 15% of the queens that don't catch, there always seem to be 10% or so summer losses which I usually attribute to either poorly mated queens or "second catch" queens moved at the wrong time and maybe another 5 to 10% winter losses (after the move to Texas). During spring nucing season I don't even concern myself with losses, just how much brood there is to work with and what I am going to do with it. If there wouldn't be enough brood to go around then I would consider that a problem but that hasn't happened since our last bad hive crash, nearly 10 years ago, after that year I vowed to never use any more "hard" chemical treatments in our hives.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

"Functionality of Varroa-resistant honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae) when used in migratory beekeeping for crop pollination."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22606798

Well, perhaps the question becomes, 'Why do commercial pollinators still treat if they can use resistant stock for pollination?"

I think that the sustainable agriculture philosophy of TFB doesn't really apply to almond pollination, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by SRatcliff View Post
    I thought it was in "The Secret".
    That's a great book... Along with "The Power"

Tim, did I thank you for participating? I know how little you care for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Tim, did I thank you for participating? I know how little you care for doing so.
    Agreed. Tim's experiences are interesting reading. I never criticize those who "walk the walk". Likewise I don't expect to hear criticisms of other successful methods that may differ from your own.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I've noticed that about you Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Correct on the last part... But Thank you...

So, is Tim going somewhere?

What are you two, hosts or something?

Jim and Mark and Tim are all beekeepers with large numbers of bees.

I'm both scientist and social activist ...
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast