Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: "What is Varroa good for?"

Jeez what would we have to argue about if not for varroa.

Another good question might be, "what would be the price of honey and pollination if not for varroa?"

Don

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Which would be what?
    I really don't know but you can be sure there is something else to eat in a hive that isn't treated As a first year beekeeper I haven't had time to even look for a mite much less something else for the little critter to eat. I've been busy making splits and cleaning out old dirty boxes or "seasoned" as I like to think of them.

So you don't know anything about mites and what they need to live? Great.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by Pipiyolti View Post
    I once had a problem with wild birds eating all my tomatoes when they would just ripe, a real downer and it caused a little hate in my heart for the birds until I realized they weren't eating my tomatoes they were drinking the pulp. A few bird baths and the problem was gone... unless I forget to top them off. What I am saying is give the varroa an easier target than the honey bee. By the way, I look at gentle bees and I see weak bees
    I keep a bird bath to attract them to my garden. While they are getting a drink their keen eyes will locate garden pests.

Gene

So you don't know anything about mites and what they need to live? Great.
    I know I don't have a problem with them.

And they don't have a problem w/ you I imagine
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

This is quite the month for IGNORING people.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

To ignore, to be ignorant of. Sounds about right.

Varroa has certainly been very, very good to Scientists. All those papers published, all those grants received, and degrees conferred.

Shall we continue w/ the subject and ideas which this Thread is concerned w/ and not the extraneous stuff?

Or perhaps "Abandon all hope ye who enter here."? As so often happens when one trys to have a serious and intelligent conversation on beesource.

Well, some beekeepers had Varroa licked years ago, without any help from scientists who could only come up with treatments that weren't good for more than a few years. All they needed was a little 'wood bleach'.

Between Varroa, CCD, and neonics, I'd say that beekeepers have become media darlings (except for a few of you) and everybody is a lot more interested than they were before.

So, Varroa certainly helped that 'Cinderella' story to happen.

I am a first year beek and am fascinated by the no treatment approach. M Bushes ideas and others in this thread have real appeal. But it's scary to take that leap. Respectfully and truly curious, are their other livestock that a similar approach has been effective with? Is that approach different than if I were to stop using antibiotics or other medicines? These are honest questions.

[QUOTE=WLC;992242 So, Varroa certainly helped that 'Cinderella' story to happen.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the story about the chick who lost her shoe?

If there is a parallel between Cinderella and beekeeping then I think the new Ulees Gold sequel should hire Imelda Marco's to play the new stepmother and the rest of us "drug addicted " beekeepers as the wild stepchildren. She and I could relate and play the parts naturally. Blasted varroa has cost me a whole closet of shoes....... and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Varroa has certainly been very, very good to Scientists. All those papers published, all those grants received, and degrees conferred.
    gee my first thought was all the commercial beeks who found a new source of income selling nucs and queens.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Y'all are missing the point.

I can't see where you're going with this, Mark. Hints? Perhaps a stir-fry with ginger and garlic?
    Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company. -Mark Twain

All that to ask, what are Varroa mites good for? How can we come to love varroa enough to understand them well enough to get to the point where we can come up w/ effective "controls" which severally lower use of and exposure to miticides? Certainly there must be some Arachnidologists out there who know this critter really well.
    I assume you read the whole OP cg3, how can we look at this critter/problem in a different way?

You are probably right Mark, we aren't really interested in the mites - other than as they relate to our goal of getting rid of them. And unless we do we probably won't really understand them.

Desiring an outcome while being uninterested in the process has fairly predictable results. FE most of us share a desire on some level to make enough money to be comfortable, but we are hanging out here instead of a business forum. Guess what Warren Buffet likes to do every day? He does what interests him - which is investing. And it has probably been his interest in investing more than any desire to become rich that has made him successful.

So we all desire to be successful beekeepers - and are interested in beekeeping - but not so much in varroa.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomas View Post
    I am a first year beek and am fascinated by the no treatment approach. M Bushes ideas and others in this thread have real appeal. But it's scary to take that leap. Respectfully and truly curious, are their other livestock that a similar approach has been effective with? Is that approach different than if I were to stop using antibiotics or other medicines? These are honest questions.
    Some of the poultry companies....Perdue for one has now figured out that it is best for everyone involved including the chickens to not treat them.

I am not sure why I am saying this....It certainly doesn't have anything to do with keeping bees...

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    You are probably right Mark, we aren't really interested in the mites - other than as they relate to our goal of getting rid of them. And unless we do we probably won't really understand them.
    Our goal can't be to get rid of them. Because we can't. We cannot eradicate a pest, whether it is from the environment in general or from our individual hives. Not for the long term anyway. We have to learn how to live w/ them. How do we live w/ mites? We have to understand them intimately. Their wants and needs and habits and life cycle and how they relate to our colonies and ultimately us.

It's about how we see how we fit into this relationship as much as it is how Varroa fits into this relationship. Because it is a relationship. Not one of our own choosing, but a relationship none the less. How do we go forward from here?

Maybe we are already doing as best as we can at Miticide Reduction w/ some of the so called soft chemical treatments and application timetables. Maybe we could do better w/ a different perspective.

Shouldn't the ultimate goal be to not need to use any chemical mite control at all? Maybe there is a way we can address Varroa through management techniques. We already see benefits to the use of Drone Comb Manipulation as done by Roland.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast