Thread: New Swarm

Default New Swarm

I was at a customers house today and we were talking about gardening. I got him into it last year. He took me to his front door and he had an enormous bee swarm. it was easily 5 times the size of mine. he said they had been there a few weeks already. you could see the comb. it looked very healthy. his neighbors want it gone but luckily he is going to contact a beekeeper in the area and try to get it down. Fortunately for the bees its on the second story, unfortunately for the guy getting it down it will not be easy. He is going to call me when the guy comes so I can watch and learn.

Gene

Default Re: New Swarm

wHY DON'T YOU TAKE IT ?

Ya why don't you take it???

Free hive of bees ! I wish I could find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen H View Post
    Ya why don't you take it???
    I have one that's enough for now. This one is 20' in the air. I imaging without a cherry picker it won't get any harder then this. It's a big one and looks very healthy.

Gene

Understood! Maybe you will watch and get a closer to the ground next year. I'm gonna set a lot of emptys out next spring at a lot of different properties with lemmon grass oil and try to snag some swarms. Hope it works !!!!

Well Gene everyone says you should have at lest two hives!!!

A men ! Been get you more !

Quote Originally Posted by nobull56 View Post
    Well Gene everyone says you should have at lest two hives!!!
    With his new found love for organic gardening he wants them. Fine by me. One is enough. My hive seems very healthy and I my house sits on a zero lot line. That means small yard. Part of my garden is in the front because the back is so small.

Gene

Gene......Is he just going to let them remain feral/external? Has he found somebody to do a re-lo for that colony so they are a manageable hive? Is there any roof line for support for things such as ladders? You have my PM...got any pics? I sure don't need the bees, but may be able to help with a relocation so he can manage them. I'm sure not getting any younger, so prospects of broken hips and such run through my mind....pics would help a lot!

ps...SO super glad to know you are still proceeding!!!
    Last edited by Bees In Miami; 08-29-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Roof support yes. He is planning on having them moved. He knows someone in Boca that has bees and is in the palm beach club. At least that's my understanding. I just talked to him and he has been to busy to do anything. A cherry picker would be idea for this. The neighbor down the street from him used to have one. I going to suggest he ask him to bring it home if he still has it. I'm a little jealous his is bigger then mine. I tried to get some pictures but its to high and dark. I didn't have anything but my phone.

Gene
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-03-2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: UNQ

Here is a picture James sent me. Its still there.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps009e780c.jpg

Gene

The guy showed up yesterday and removed the hive. I will post some more pictures when I get a chance. What a great learning experience. He brought down sections of the hive and explained each part. He set up 2 ladders and suspended a couple of hive boxes rigged with a shop vacuum. The comb was really beautiful and the hive had really grown since I last saw it. He explained why are bees are so aggressive here and now it makes sense. I didn't realize the queen was fertilized by multiple drones some which would be of african descent. He takes the bees and gets them ready for new beekeepers including requeening when necessary. Very nice guy and incredibly informative.

Gene

That is a gorgeous external colony, indeed! Did he cut the comb to fit into empty frames to save the brood, also? Thanks for the update...will look forward to seeing more pics. Thanks!