Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hybrid TBH/Lang hive. Was: Bees won't move up into super, why?

Hi Colleen, not well at all. Due to having my final exams for my Pre-Med degree last month I missed them swarming and then (I think the swallows are to blame) going laying worker for a bit. So after I grafted in some queen cells they are now recovering and building up again, very slowly atm, but still limping along. I'll be checking them out fully this weekend as I haven't pulled the lid on this one in about 4 weeks (when I confirmed a mated queen being present). I'm hoping to see good things, we are mid flow here so fingers crossed.....

BTW next year is not going to be kind to my bees, I'll be a first year med student.....

Cheers, Thomas.

Well full inspection completed, they are going well, about 50% of the drawn comb is now back in use and bees are beginning to occupy the super once again. Probably only for pest control at this point but I'm hopeful they should be storing honey there soon enough.

New queen is a real laying machine too, although I'm troubled to see a few "half sized" workers wandering about. They look just like regular workers, but scaled down..... Wondering if I shouldn't order one and replace her?

Cheers, Thomas.

PS my other hives; one other TBH and my three Langs are going super well, supers just went onto two of the Langs two weeks back, in one it's about full and the other it's filling fast. The third is lagging a bit being a more recent split.... The TBH gives me ~8lbs of honey every 3 weeks from three bars. :-)

The size of the bee is actually determined by the size of the cell they were raised in. So I wouldn't worry about different size workers.

Sounds like they are doing well.

Our weather hasn't been great for the main flow here. Oh well, looks like it's improving from now on though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12