Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Homemade oxalic acid vaporizer

So today I did my second weekly treatment, all haves had many dead mites on the bottom boards. A couple hives that overwintered last winter had thousands. Literally thousands of dead mites from last weeks treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Steves1967 View Post
    So today I did my second weekly treatment, all haves had many dead mites on the bottom boards. A couple hives that overwintered last winter had thousands. Literally thousands of dead mites from last weeks treatment.
    How long did it take, after the treatment to see the big mite drop? Did it happen the next day or was it bit by bit over several days the mite drop showed up? Was the big drop after the first treatment or after the second one?
    How far apart were the treatments. I'm still learning to use my Vaporizer.

Glen
    You Tube bee Channel Zone 5A
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenGH

Glen, I have been super busy so I had not been out to see them at all in a week. The last time was when I treated them.

It would be so nice if somebody with enough experience on using different kind of vaporizers would write an article on the subject and post it as "info" on the main site. For now the information is pretty dispersed throughout the forum. We cannot buy vaporizers in all countries and if we were to buy them in Europe for example we would pay a lot of money including expensive transport.

Regards,
    Cristian

Here is a video link, there are several on the web that demo the simple to complex vaporizers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHz4B1vqKo
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen H View Post
    How long did it take, after the treatment to see the big mite drop? Did it happen the next day or was it bit by bit over several days the mite drop showed up? Was the big drop after the first treatment or after the second one?

Glen
    Glen, On my hives the main mite drop was after two days..... Checked the first day and was disappointed but the second day had a huge drop.... Each successive day for the next 3 or so had less and less drop....

The simplest vaporizer I have used is a small metal dish. make it very small and shallow. Over a hooka coal. I now have the $99 think from Canada and with the cost of other treatments it has paid for itself a couple of times over. I am waiting to see how long it lasts. I made my own but it cost as much as the one from Canada before I was finished.

Best news is I never see signs of mites in my hives anymore.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen H View Post

Glen
    Hi Glen, In my experience big mite drops follow the first two treatments, most on day 2 and 3. I treat 7 days apart. Drop counts begin to fall after the 2nd treatment. How much and how quickly depends on how much brood there is. I like to treat at least 3 times a week apart to cover a brood cycle. That way all the mites in the brood have emerged and can be treated.
    following the 3rd treatment counts really fall off, thou I usually treat 4 times in a row. this year I've decided to go with 3 sets of 3 treatments. Now, before the supers go on, as I am in florida and building fast, then again after the supers come off and we're in the middle of the derth and once more in late fall as the brood cycles down. In Florida we have mild winters but tons of mites.
    I didn't lose a hive over winter. Lost a small nuc last summer to SHB which you guys don't even have.
    Good luck,
    Robbin
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 12 hives / 2 nd Year / 4 TF - 8 T{OAV}

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123