Hybrid View

Default Homemade oxalic acid vaporizer

Have any of you folks made your own? What did you do? Will you share pictures or ideas?

Default Re: Homemade oxalic acid vaporizer

Hi,
    I made one, that was very inexpensive. I purchased a 12 volt car/travel coffee cup heater that plugs into a cigarette lighter in a car. I also used a 3/4 inch copper pipe end cap.
    I formed the heaters coil around the copper cap. it works good. I also made a measuring scoop out of a 1/2 inch copper end cap and soldered a handle to the end of the cap.

Still need to make up a simple handle for the Vaporizer.

You can buy the heater on Ebay.

Glen

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Glen H View Post
    Hi,
    I made one, that was very inexpensive. I purchased a 12 volt car/travel coffee cup heater that plugs into a cigarette lighter in a car. I also used a 3/4 inch copper pipe end cap.
    I formed the heaters coil around the copper cap. it works good. I also made a measuring scoop out of a 1/2 inch copper end cap and soldered a handle to the end of the cap.
    FYI Glen H be careful with hand bent coils. I use work at GE appliances as an engineer, Mg0 is a the heat conducting dieletric filler between the sheath and Nickle-Chrome wire. If the sheath is bent to sharply the MgO is displaced and the heating wire can short to the sheath in a catastrpophic failure. In the industry we call it zippering, the sheath basically zippers open, sparks, mini-eplosion, etc.

IMO glow plug is much safer route.The heater way very well function just fine for you, just a bit of caution.

Thanks for the FYI Burns, much appreciated and good point. I used to work with Metal sheathed heat tracing cables and remember the white compound that kept the element centered and away from the out coating. Trying to remember the name?? Pyro something??
    I have actually started making a two glow plug heater. Got it working, just need some finishing touches, then I'll post some pictures of it.

Glen
    You Tube bee Channel Zone 5A
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenGH

Thanks for the FYI Burns, much appreciated and good point. I used to work with Metal sheathed heat tracing cables and remember the white compound that kept the element centered and away from the out coating. Trying to remember the name?? Pyro something??
    Yes, exactly the powder keeps the Heated wire (Nickel Chrome) centered within the sheath. The white insulating powder is Magnesium Oxide (MgO), under many different trade names. In the manufacturing process the rods are packed straight and bent into desired shape with cnc benders. There is a minimum bend radius and amount of bends that is considered safe, I don't remember those specs.

Good Luck!

Finished the new vaporizer today and have tested it out a couple of times.
    But I have not tested it in a hive yet.
    I didn't have any 1/2 plate aluminum so I used two sheets of 1/4 inch and one sheet of 1/8
    Drilled the pocket with a hole saw in the one of the 1/4 inch plates and the 1/8 plate.
    Sandwiched the plates together and then milled it to shape. The handle rod is aluminum stock.
    I added a switch too.
    After adding the heat shield on the bottom, I ended up milling the 1/8th off the top to make it slimmer.

Glen
    You Tube bee Channel Zone 5A
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenGH

Here is the scoop, made with a 1/2 inch copper pipe end cap. this is the correct size measure.

Glen

Here is mine. I machined the tray out of aluminum, stuck a diesel glo-plug in the side and added the metal rod with a chisel handle. Takes about 1 minute to evaporate. I actually made a few more in which I machined the tray to where the glo-plug sticks in the middle and it has a small tray on each side to hold the oxalic, but I don't have a picture of it.....yet

Woow, they all look great. Glen, how do you use yours? Or is that just a measuring spoon? Is there someplace that sells the vaporizers? Where do you get your OA?

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Woow, they all look great. Glen, how do you use yours? Or is that just a measuring spoon? Is there someplace that sells the vaporizers? Where do you get your OA?
    The electric heater one is connected to a car battery that I take to the hives and set on the ground
    I have an adaptor cable with alligator clips on one end that goes to the battery and the other end of the cable has an outlet on it that the heater plugs into. The other picture with the wooden handle is the OA measuring scoop that is the correct size measure for the vaporizer.

You can buy Vaporizers online I believe they are over $100.00.

The OA in the States can be purchased on line or in a hardware store it goes by the name of wood bleach. Just make sure if you buy wood bleach, that OA is the only ingredient.

I got mine on Ebay.

Glen

Oh I see, I didn't realize both post were yours. Yeah, I thought I'd seen the commercial vaporizers for pretty pricey. I am thinking about dribbling OA this fall. What are the mite knockdown stats for OA?

What is the correct size measure....how much oxalic acid does one use per hive when vaporizing? Have you tested that system to see if the oxalis acid vaporizes?

The measure is one cap full of crystal roughly. (1/2 inch copper plumbing end cap) . I have used it four times it takes about a minute or two to heat up and vaporize the OA. 1 gram per every deep on the hive EG: two deeps 2 grams two deeps one medium 2.5.....
    I do a test run outside the hive and use a stop watch to monitor how long it takes for the crystals to turn to a liquid, then unplug the heater and see how long it takes for it to totally vaporize.

Glen

I do a test run outside the hive and use a stop watch to monitor how long it takes for the crystals to turn to a liquid, then unplug the heater and see how long it takes for it to totally vaporize.

Glen
    Is this standard procedure? I'm thinking seriously about switching to OA and need to know exactly how it's done.
    Try it. What could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    Is this standard procedure? I'm thinking seriously about switching to OA and need to know exactly how it's done.
    You can watch the "Fat Beeman" in action doing a treatment. He has two videos of doing treatments here is one, you can find the other on his channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQp9pdAOjdo

Glen