Default Outer Cover - Experience with LeakSeal or similar in lieu of aluminum

The aluminum on outer covers is expensive and a bit of a pain to me. I found some old threads on using alternative sealants, but nothing recent or comments on long term success.

So, any experience with using either of the products below or similar? And, how many 8-frame telescoping covers are you able to complete with gallon (or whatever volume you purchase).

Thanks,
    Don

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...-rust/leakseal

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Restore-1...6110/203937980
    2 years / 13 hives / Zone 7A www.backfortybees.com

Default Re: Outer Cover - Experience with LeakSeal or similar in lieu of alulminum

What type of aluminum are you pricing? I can get 24" wide aluminum flashing at about $1.40 a linear foot and have the total length cut from the roll at a local hardware store. I usually get about 10 linear feet to make five tops. I cut each top with offset tin snips. Each top of aluminum runs about $2.00 when I run the 24" long ways. Several books on building equipment show how to bend the aluminum and give dimensions for the wood needed. It takes me about 15 minutes to bend the edges and corners then attach the top with screws. Depending on grade of wood and the cost of the plywood for the top, a telescoping top runs about $8-$10 each. I stain or paint the wood.
    I make tops for 8 frame equipment. Ten frame tops would be a couple of inches wider but 24" would still fit for the long dimension.

Default Re: Outer Cover - Experience with LeakSeal or similar in lieu of alulminum

I've used EDPM roofing membrane to make some before. Comes in black or white. Semi indestructible. I glued mine down with contact cement and folded down over the sides. Here's a link to some http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15884
    white-epdm-large.jpg
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

My guess is that you will spend a lot more time and money replacing whatever you paint on the telescoping cover in lieu of the sheet aluminum/metal.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    My guess is that you will spend a lot more time and money replacing whatever you paint on the telescoping cover in lieu of the sheet aluminum/metal.
    I'm real curious as to why you would guess that? Data sheets, anecdotal info, or just plain gut feeling? I have a piece of rubber sheeting that was off a roll of roofing material (maybe the same material mentioned by dynemd), which has been used for countless critter ponds, rain and snow covers, etc for over 25 years. It still looks and performs as well as when it was new. What I don't have is 25 years worth of experience with thin aluminum sheet in an outdoor application. Thin galvanized will corrode in a couple of years if it is wet a lot but I don't know how long it would take to reach failure.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG74 View Post
    What type of aluminum are you pricing?
    I'll admit, I've been buying the aluminum sheeting at the big box stores, so not the cheapest. But, I did find it for the same price online, plus shipping, so I figured not too much off on best price I can get somewhere. $2 a top does not seem like a lot, but I'm super cheap and I've been building them out of recycled/reclaimed wood from construction sites (free).

"I've used EDPM roofing membrane to make some before."

I'll look into this, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG74 View Post
    I cut each top with offset tin snips.
    Score it with a razor blade knife and fold on score. It will break right along the cut.

I am old school I like galvanized steel. a 4x8 sheet of 26 gauge costs me a bout $18, I only get 7 covers out of a sheet, [under $3 each] my covers run large and hang down more than most. years ago I experimented with paint on materials for calf hutch roofs, nothing I tried left a long term good impression. cutting the galvanized by hand is not a favorite thing if doing more than a couple. I just unloaded an 80 year old niagra foot shear, I had been trying to finalize this deal since late November. it was a bit of an adventure my work van is in pieces so I took it apart and loaded it into the pt cruiser, wife not overjoyed and the seller questioned my sanity until we got it loaded, the ice storm on the way home and the multi vehicles at all angles on and 1/2 off the road all over the bottom of a hill added to the adventure, it was fun I must have had angels helping. I have a batch of 25 or 30 covers to cut. so this batch will have to help cover the cost of equipment. as a bonus the extra weight keeps them on tight. some times I use 24 gauge this adds $1, these will stay on good without a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt road View Post
    I'm real curious as to why you would guess that? Data sheets, anecdotal info, or just plain gut feeling? I have a piece of rubber sheeting that was off a roll of roofing material (maybe the same material mentioned by dynemd), which has been used for countless critter ponds, rain and snow covers, etc for over 25 years. It still looks and performs as well as when it was new. What I don't have is 25 years worth of experience with thin aluminum sheet in an outdoor application. Thin galvanized will corrode in a couple of years if it is wet a lot but I don't know how long it would take to reach failure.
    Here in Colorado, we have abandoned mining buildings over 100 years old that have intact sheet metal roofs, and that is without maintenance. I've never heard of a paint-on or rubber or synthetic membrane last near that long (or projected to last that long for the more recent formulations).
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)