Question Wax dipping moisture level

Do those of you who dip woodenware, measure the moisture level of the wood first ? If so what is your optimal levels ?
    Thanks
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Default Re: Wax dipping moisture level

I thought the assembled hive boxes are already dry enough to be wax dip. The woods are usually dry
    enough from the bee box supplier unless you're milling your own bee boxes. The woods would have been seasoned out
    a bit first. Anyways, with that high a temp. in the wax any remaining moisture would be cooked out.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Far from a pro a this, but I don't measure moisture content. I dip at 280-300 F for 2-3 minutes, unless the wax doesn't soak into the wood upon removal. If there is wax cooling on the surface of the box, the wood didn't warm enough, likely because water content, and I'll lengthen the time and re-dip thos boxes.
    Habitually learning...

I will have 600 deeps that were purchased from a supplier but I do have a lot more equipment that the age of the wood is unknown and I don't want an overflow of foam if I can help it. Plus I am offering Dipping services on new equipment and would like to be able to verify with the customers if I can dip it or not.
    My tank will have a 12 inch head room for expansion of foam and a drain for overflow but I would like to avoid that kind of thing.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

I suspect that you need a little moisture in the wood to get a good result. The moisture would form steam which would force the air out of the wood, then after removal from the tank the steam would condense and draw the wax down into the wood. You would want to cool slowly so the wax stays liquid long enough to be drawn into the wood. I don't know percentages for you but you could experiment with scrap lumber of different moisture content and dipping time to get a feel for it. If you use a small pot and died wax you could cut the wood apart later to see how well you have done.
    Good luck with your project,
    Bill

The boxes I've done were manufactured boxes, they seem to be dryer than wet sawed wood. I've never had 4" of foam with mine, I'd just start with 1 box, see how it goes, do 2 the 2nd time, etc...

If you get your wood warm enough with time, it doesn't matter if you are dipping on a 32 degree day and stacking them outside, wax soaks in, IMO.
    Habitually learning...