Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Homemade oxalic acid vaporizer

Have any of you folks made your own? What did you do? Will you share pictures or ideas?

Default Re: Homemade oxalic acid vaporizer

Hi,
    I made one, that was very inexpensive. I purchased a 12 volt car/travel coffee cup heater that plugs into a cigarette lighter in a car. I also used a 3/4 inch copper pipe end cap.
    I formed the heaters coil around the copper cap. it works good. I also made a measuring scoop out of a 1/2 inch copper end cap and soldered a handle to the end of the cap.

Still need to make up a simple handle for the Vaporizer.

You can buy the heater on Ebay.

Glen

Thank you

Here is the scoop, made with a 1/2 inch copper pipe end cap. this is the correct size measure.

Glen

Here is mine. I machined the tray out of aluminum, stuck a diesel glo-plug in the side and added the metal rod with a chisel handle. Takes about 1 minute to evaporate. I actually made a few more in which I machined the tray to where the glo-plug sticks in the middle and it has a small tray on each side to hold the oxalic, but I don't have a picture of it.....yet

Woow, they all look great. Glen, how do you use yours? Or is that just a measuring spoon? Is there someplace that sells the vaporizers? Where do you get your OA?

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Woow, they all look great. Glen, how do you use yours? Or is that just a measuring spoon? Is there someplace that sells the vaporizers? Where do you get your OA?
    The electric heater one is connected to a car battery that I take to the hives and set on the ground
    I have an adaptor cable with alligator clips on one end that goes to the battery and the other end of the cable has an outlet on it that the heater plugs into. The other picture with the wooden handle is the OA measuring scoop that is the correct size measure for the vaporizer.

You can buy Vaporizers online I believe they are over $100.00.

The OA in the States can be purchased on line or in a hardware store it goes by the name of wood bleach. Just make sure if you buy wood bleach, that OA is the only ingredient.

I got mine on Ebay.

Glen

Oh I see, I didn't realize both post were yours. Yeah, I thought I'd seen the commercial vaporizers for pretty pricey. I am thinking about dribbling OA this fall. What are the mite knockdown stats for OA?

What is the correct size measure....how much oxalic acid does one use per hive when vaporizing? Have you tested that system to see if the oxalis acid vaporizes?

The measure is one cap full of crystal roughly. (1/2 inch copper plumbing end cap) . I have used it four times it takes about a minute or two to heat up and vaporize the OA. 1 gram per every deep on the hive EG: two deeps 2 grams two deeps one medium 2.5.....
    I do a test run outside the hive and use a stop watch to monitor how long it takes for the crystals to turn to a liquid, then unplug the heater and see how long it takes for it to totally vaporize.

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen H View Post
    I do a test run outside the hive and use a stop watch to monitor how long it takes for the crystals to turn to a liquid, then unplug the heater and see how long it takes for it to totally vaporize.

Glen
    Is this standard procedure? I'm thinking seriously about switching to OA and need to know exactly how it's done.
    Try it. What could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    Is this standard procedure? I'm thinking seriously about switching to OA and need to know exactly how it's done.
    You can watch the "Fat Beeman" in action doing a treatment. He has two videos of doing treatments here is one, you can find the other on his channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQp9pdAOjdo

Glen

So 1 cup (1/2) equals 1g. Right?
    The dose is 1g/hive body.
    http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/oxalicthorne.html

Optimal sublimation is 315F and above 375F or so it melts and instead of getting oxalic acid vapor you will get formic acid and carbon monoxide. So I used the heating element from an old iron and a bimetal thermostat to set the temperature. It slides in under the screened bottom board.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/MichaelJ...36830921254930
    I like GlenH's idea for use with car battery power. Might be better with temperature control.
    Here is a simple one made from a soldering iron with no thermostat but at 23W it takes way too long to sublimate.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/MichaelJ...96769979254738

JStinson,
    The 1/2" copper cap will give you approximately 1 gram of Oxalic and as stated above use 1 gram per deep, this measure does not need to be extremely precise. It is best to give the vaporizer a trial run outside the hive to see how long it will take to sublimate into vapor, then make sure the vaporizer is cooled down before refilling. Place the vaporizer into the the entrance of the hive about half way if possible and connect to the battery per your pre-assessed time, I have found that it is helpful to seal off the entrance with some cloth while vaporizing but some do forgo sealing the hive and have reported good results. Do one treatment per week for 3 weeks. Here is a thread which gives good locations to find vaporizers. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...acid-vaporizer
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Remember to wear your protective safety breathing device because that stuff will kill you.

Wow! Thank you all so much for the info! Now I just need to find out which glo-plug is cheap at my local auto parts store. I already have some half face respirators and OV acid gas cartridges. I plan on being pretty religious using them.

The plug used by Heilyser is a Bosch 80010, these plugs have M12x1.75 threads on them which need to be machined off to fit the Heilyser but perhaps you can design your vaporizer to use this thread. This Bosch plug generates the correct amount of heat that is needed for sublimating Oxalic.

Remember to treat the hives in the fall after the supers are pulled just to be on the safe side, it has been said that Oxalic can be applied with the supers on but I just do not want to take that chance.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

> I am thinking about dribbling OA this fall.

You may be interested in Jim Lyon's approach to applying OA without vaporizing it. Read the posts by Jim Lyon starting at post #133 on this page: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...644#post989644

Jim expands on his comments in following posts. You will have to ignore the heckling from the peanut gallery about OA (oxalic acid). Jim has thousands of hives, and years of experience, and seems to be a straightforward guy.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Here is what I made. Uses two VW glo plugs. Threads ground off and held in with set screws. About 2 1/2 inches wide and 3/4 inch high. Solid aluminum so fair bit of mass and takes a little over a minute to start vapor. The bees return to normal activity in a very short while and I noticed no dead bees aside from a few who fell into the cup. Treated once in november last fall and again early in April and mite count is near zero at present but I am very isolated.

My impression is that it does not kill open brood but just is not as effective when 75% of mites are on capped brood since it does not penetrate cappings. Will work if you do 4 rounds 6 days apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast