Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Captured a swarm! Will it survive?

I think you should consider what Cleo Hogan posted. There are subtleties in this. I admit, I don't understand feeding in situations like this. But he has a lot of experience and is very observant.

I do plan on following his advice. We have many warm weeks ahead till it gets too cold. Ill stop feeding here in a couple weeks so I have another 6-8 weeks till all the flowers stop blooming. That way they should prepare for winter. I have little to compare my little hive to but I think I have a small population so I think my bigger priority is to stimulate good comb production and brood production. That way they can keep themselves warm in the winter. I think if I get the colony size up then feeding with the sugar board can keep them full all winter long. Let me know if I seem to be taking this in all wrong.

Also does the last couple pics look like the queen? Her head is buried in some comb right there but she was darker and longer than all the rest.

Yes that is your queen. You should be getting some emerging brood soon. If you only have 2 combs drawn now you still have a ways to go. Feeding is funny and I do not know OK, but you have the best chance to draw comb with your emerging brood. For the number of bees in photo they are covering a lot of brood. Push the feed too hard and they will fill comb with stores, too slow and you will not get the most comb. Watch for eggs at all times. It looks like she is still laying the edge of the new comb as it is being drawn. That is good.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Looking good! I love the black queens. I doubt you need to smoke em, should be really nice. I would keep the feed on. When weather turns cooler try to confine the hive as much as possible with a follower board and one open bar for maximum heat retention, the ladies prefer tight spaces. Keep an eye on hive beetles if there bad in your area. A 0.75" diameter hole is plenty for the rest of the year.

What kind of box are they in? top bar?

Good luck, I enjoy watching small hives grow.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    Looking good! I love the black queens. I doubt you need to smoke em, should be really nice. I would keep the feed on. When weather turns cooler try to confine the hive as much as possible with a follower board and one open bar for maximum heat retention, the ladies prefer tight spaces. Keep an eye on hive beetles if there bad in your area. A 0.75" diameter hole is plenty for the rest of the year.

What kind of box are they in? top bar?

Good luck, I enjoy watching small hives grow.
    It is a make shift langstroth hive. I think I am off on a couple measurements because it was my first hive build and I cut twice and measured once lol. Here is a better pic of one of the empty frames:

image.jpg

Ok a little update on my hive. I have brood hatching and population is climbing. I posted in another thread asking how to correct deformed comb. The bees were building a second bit of comb at a 90 degree angle away from the big bit of comb you see in other pics. On closer inspection this extra bit of comb was only attached at the top bar and not attached to the main portion of comb. So I scraped it off and pinched it onto one of the splines of on of my empty frames and placed that in between my two frames of comb. They seemed to properly attach that to the frame and are building on that too. Here is a comparison pic of when I looked at them last to now:

image.jpg
    Before

image.jpg
    Now

image.jpg
    And the back side.

Here is a quick pic in the hive of the other two starting combs:

image.jpg

Ill take some more pics in another week or two. Things should be starting to speed up now.

Question for the experienced bee keepers out there. Can ants be detrimental to my new hive? Since I have these open feeders ants are getting into my hive. It is not super bad but I can usually count like 10 - 15 individual ants in the hive at any time. Should I be concerned and if so how do I handle this?
    Last edited by Arpolis; 09-10-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Here are some new updated pics of the hive. A couple days ago I noticed that the sugar water I had in the hive had been there a long time and the bees were not using it. Not knowing the cause I dumped it, washed out the colored cups and filled with new 1-1 sugar syrup. Man they started to devour it fast! Also after I did that I noticed the bees being much much more active. They are everywhere now rather than all hunkered down and doing nothing in the hive. I feel much better now because for the last couple weeks they haven't produced much comb and have been lack luster. I am a little more confident now we are making progress. Here are the pics I promised.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Why are so many outside on the box? Are they propolising the cracks. You may want make the top fit better and add a meshed ventilation hole if you don't have top ventilation.

Omg omg omg! Look!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

They are Almost ALL DEAD! :-( I am totally stunned. I have no idea what happened. The earlier pick was 2 hours before this. The last pick is the queen. She is alive now but frantically running around the hive. WHAT HAPPENED?

NICE ! your on your way. just keep feeding. if it were me I would put them in a 5 frame nuc. and have another 5 frame box ready to go on top for increase. even if they don't make it. I think it is definetly to late for you. I think your HOOKED. also get a substancial amount of feed on them. when im feeding my bees I don't want them to run out. your working against the clock.
    thats the way i roll.

Quote Originally Posted by curios1 View Post
    NICE ! your on your way. just keep feeding. if it were me I would put them in a 5 frame nuc. and have another 5 frame box ready to go on top for increase. even if they don't make it. I think it is definetly to late for you. I think your HOOKED. also get a substancial amount of feed on them. when im feeding my bees I don't want them to run out. your working against the clock.

Hahaha I can only laugh at your comment. Did you not read my last post and feel my distress and sadness?!? My bees are dead now.

Actually since posting I think I found the answer. I don't think as much brood as I thought has been hatching out. There may have only been one wave of hatched brood now and 90% of that was only on one side of one comb. Last Monday was the 6 week mark from when I captured the hive. And how long do workers live... About 4-6 weeks. I think they died of old age. I may have a few hundred bees left over that are new. I think there is little hope now unless that queen gets her but in gear and just starts laying like mad.

Im not sure the earlier pic wasnt a case of robber bees trying to gain entry. You didnt notice any fighting? I have heard a bad case of robbing can cause mass casualties.

On another site someone did mention that. I actually think that is the more likely culprit of the situation now. When inspecting the dead bees I did notice 3 live ones rolling around and it looked like 2 were attacking the one. There is also not a single drop of honey or polen left in the hive giving this theory a little more credit.

Feeding; inverted jar type feeder works better than pictured. Dry sugar (if that is what I see) does not establish a hive well. works as an immergency but not real well. Jar above the cluster or offset a little lets them at it but protect it. Robbing is harder for them to stop when in a larger box than they can cover. Like nucs!
    Hope you give it another try.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12