Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Hive Tool - Use / Storage

I use one that has a frame holder on it. Make a frame holder that can stay closed (hold on to the frame) without constant hand pressure and I'll buy 5...
    Something with a lever or push button release. And of course a small pry bar off one end.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    I know commercial beeks that go through cases of tools each year. For Easter, they take the grandkids out to the beeyards and see who can find the most hive tools; forget the easter eggs! Anyway, keep brainstorming, sounds good so far.
    @westernbeekeeper-

I think I missed this comment when you made it. I was just going back through the thread from the beginning and rereading everything. Are you serious about that??? If this is true that is a great example of highlighting an area for improvement.

And thanks for the support on the brainstorming. Still searching for full time work so you're comments help with the lows that come with being unemployed.

I am serious! I know a few commercial guys that host Easter hive tool hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    I am serious! I know a few commercial guys that host Easter hive tool hunts.
    That's awesome. For a just starting out beekeeper like myself that really puts things into perspective.

Jared.Downs.... Here are photos of the hive tool holster that I have used since 1965. I made the holster on the left in 1965, and just replaced it, this year, with a new one made for me by John Spoo, a local leathersmith. (As you can see, the original, was about worn out).

The holster has a slight gusset so the hive tool will slide in and out of the holster, even if it has some propolis, honey, etc, on it. I always use it in my pocket, but, it has a belt loop sewed into it. Those of you who have seen me at Kelly Bee Co demonstrations, you have seen me using it. Works great for me.

Hive Tool Holster (2).jpg

Hive too holster, (in pocket).jpg

Hive tool Holter (on belt).jpg

The holster is 10 1/2 inches long, 4 1/4 wide, and the point where the hive tool goes in the holster is 7 inches from the bottom. The belt loop is 2 1/4 inches wide.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 09-03-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Give measurements for the holster

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Jared.Downs.... Here are photos of the hive tool holster that I have used since 1965.
    cchoganjr
    @Cleo C. Hogan Jr.-

Thanks a bunch for the photos & measurements. It's pretty cool to see the original and the new along with how you use it.

Mind commenting on some of these possible options (along with everyone else!)

I think at this point I'm seeing that there are many interests on here and ways of doing things that there is no "one-set-of features-fits-all-beekeeper" and ultimately this would need to be a line of products say 2-3. I've reassessed my approach and think there might be 3 options. What's everyone thing / feel about this?

Last edited by Jared.Downs; 09-03-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Guess I would go with the minimal. If I need other items, they are always in my pockets, or in my truck, which is nearby.

cchoganjr

I love the moderate design. I was (and probably still will until I can find something better) thinking about tying a lanyard to my hive tool (it's an EZ-pry http://www.solwaybeesupplies.co.uk/e...ool-1108-p.asp) through the nail-pull, and tying the opposite end to a carabiner clip that attaches to one of my belt-loops. I figure with about 2.5' of lanyard, it should be long enough that I can reach what I need to with it... I also almost always carry a queen-marker in my pocket...along with a multitool, wallet, cellphone, etc. etc. etc.
    Last edited by RichardBlalock; 09-03-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling

@Cleo C Hogan Jr & @ RichardBlalock-

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I didn't explain how I envision each one being made or what what materials so I could get some initial feedback. But the middle design or the one I've labeled "moderate" would be a single piece of leather that is wrapped around a piece of wood that has magnets embedded in it. Then the side straps would hold markers / pens. This design would fit on a belt. So it wouldn't work for those that want a pocket - mounted product. But I'm sure I can keep noodling on how to make that a possibility.

Thanks all! I'll keep posting my progress. Please feel free to comment away (positive and negative).

I would be Minimal to moderate depending on what the additional features of moderate where. Holding a marker is okay. starting to get up to holding a utility knife, not so much. By the time you get to the maximal range I would just be shopping for a tool pouch.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    By the time you get to the maximal range I would just be shopping for a tool pouch.
    @Daniel Y -

Thanks for the input. Your thoughts are very valid. I'm going to do another round of sketches before moving on to more prototypes. But I'm thinking focusing on the holster to be perform top notch as a holster and at max, have 1 "pocket" for holding an additional item. Rather than having it do a whole bunch of things mediocrely.

Any other thoughts?

try going here and watch the video "beekeeping is my life" both beekeepers are using belts with metal carriers for hive tool, smoker and brush tucked under the belt http://www.buckfast.dk/en/lectures.html

Quote Originally Posted by beebreeder View Post
    try going here and watch the video "beekeeping is my life" both beekeepers are using belts with metal carriers for hive tool, smoker and brush tucked under the belt http://www.buckfast.dk/en/lectures.html
    @beebreeder-

Thanks for the link! Those videos were great and I loved the belts they were using. Thanks again.

So I finally got some materials in to mock up one of the designs. I plan on mocking up more to test them out. This one was made pretty quickly and the final will be made at a much higher level of quality but I wanted something that was functional & about 80% there in terms of how to make it.

What do you guys think?? (PS, I quickly just took these images and they're bad due to the over exposure)
    Last edited by Jared.Downs; 09-15-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: explanation

Also, this was my first time working with leather....getting the hang of it.

The pattern that I stamped into the front (to show where the magnet is) is meant to be hexagonal but I could find any leather working tools to do this so I made my own with a bolt and nut. First time stamping leather, pretty fun.

The stitching is a saddle stitch, purely decorative. For this version, I've epoxied the leather to the wood but will come up with a better more durable solution.

Best hive tool holster? Pair of "Dickie" carpenter pants from Sears. Tons of side pockets and loops. On sale now...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234