Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Hive Tool - Use / Storage

Quote Originally Posted by bbbthingmaker View Post
    As for a Holster ; I keep a strong magnet in my pocket. Just stick the hive tool on the outside. Easy on- easy off. Of course it does leave a propolis stain .

@bbbthingmaker-

The propolis stain was one of the things I noticed on my jeans when I'd stick the hive tool in my front or back pocket. And my early breadboard prototype that I've used is starting to show signs of staining or chunks of propolis sticking to the fabric.

Thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbthingmaker View Post
    I keep a strong magnet in my pocket. Just stick the hive tool on the outside. Easy on- easy off. Of course it does leave a propolis stain .
    That's why a bare magnet on a clip works well......... see link in post 38
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    That's why a bare magnet on a clip works well......... see link in post 38
    How does everyone here feel about plastic?

Would a leather holster that is designed / build and intended to last a lifetime be of interest?

I've spent the last few years designing Star Wars toys and other garbage (i.e. I do a great job of keeping the landfills, filled.) and would like to go in the direction of non-disposable, high quality, high durability and long lasting.

I realize that I am an idealist when it comes to that; how would everyone here (i.e. the "user") feel about a long lasting, non breakable product for beekeeping?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared.Downs View Post
    How does everyone here feel about plastic?

Would a leather holster that is designed / build and intended to last a lifetime be of interest?
    A leather holster would not work (at least for me). The hive tool tends to get wax, propolis & honey all over it and then sticking it in a leather holster...... well you get the point...
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I would be interested in a leather holster. something that hangs below the jacket level so it has to be below the belt by a couple of inches. I would also like to see it have a small pocket for the flat sharp end. not much of one but something to prevent it from sliding down while moving around and also sheath the sharp edge. Not sure how to deal with the curved edge of the tool I use. it would most likely be hanging out there ready to cut the arm of my jacket. Of course I could just switch to the J tool.

I know I just made the holster a lot more expensive but I am the type that will pay more for something that works better.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

A leather holster would not work (at least for me). The hive tool tends to get wax, propolis & honey all over it and then sticking it in a leather holster...... well you get the point...
    @snl-

Is it that the leather is too hard to clean? Is it that your expectation is the holster would remain clean? Just curious, as your reasoning could provide some great insights.

My initial thoughts for the holster were that it would provide the beekeeper with a quick and efficient way to store the hive tool at their side while also allowing the rest of their clothing to be free of contact with the hive tool, thus eliminating propolis / honey contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    I would be interested in a leather holster. something that hangs below the jacket level so it has to be below the belt by a couple of inches. I would also like to see it have a small pocket for the flat sharp end. not much of one but something to prevent it from sliding down while moving around and also sheath the sharp edge. Not sure how to deal with the curved edge of the tool I use. it would most likely be hanging out there ready to cut the arm of my jacket. Of course I could just switch to the J tool.

I know I just made the holster a lot more expensive but I am the type that will pay more for something that works better.
    @Daniel Y-

You've been making some rock solid comments that are awesome. Your sparking ideas for prototyping and making them.

Huge thanks for your input. I'll keep you posted on what I am able to prototype in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared.Downs View Post
    Is it that the leather is too hard to clean? Is it that your expectation is the holster would remain clean? Just curious, as your reasoning could provide some great insights.
    As you are using the HT, you're constantly moving it in and out of your pocket (in my case, clip) but you are not cleaning it in between uses except for maybe a swipe across a super or such to get most of the "stuff" off.

A leather holster would (again) get sticky then you'd have a hassle getting the tool in and out of it.

As you are using the HT, you're constantly moving it in and out of your pocket (in my case, clip) but you are not cleaning it in between uses except for maybe a swipe across a super or such to get most of the "stuff" off.

A leather holster would (again) get sticky then you'd have a hassle getting the tool in and out of it.
    @snl-

Great explanation, thank you.

Would a holster that serves both storing the HT "inside" via a "pocket" and "outside" via magnet help in your case? My thinking is that the inside pocket would be more long term and the outside via the magnet would be more functional for short term use what conducting the hive inspection. Thoughts?

On to Creekside's post #37, I would add a bag for queen cages, hive entrance blocks, queen catcher, paint pens, chalk, etc., and a separate holder for the powdered sugar sifter, unless you have made up the beekeepers' work stool with toolbox cubby holes on the sides, or have rigged up your metal pail for your smoker to hold tools as well. A good old carpenter's open tool tote box also works well.

I've stopped using the frame perch...I just use an empty hive body nowadays - it's more stable.

Nice!
    Beats tying fishing line to the hive tool and belt loop!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Thanks all for the comments and support; this has been a great thread.

Here's a page I just put together with images of my rough prototypes. These are just works like and very crude. The point is just to convey the functional intent and a little bit about the potential material. But it's all up in the air.

Let me know your thoughts.... positive and negative are welcome. Any concerns you may have or things you'd like added.
    (I'm sketching out some concepts that include a slot for a marker or other small features)

Prototype #3 and #4 both have features in them that allow the user to put the hive tool "inside" to prevent tearing or ripping of any clothing around the holster area. This was a request by someone one here. But it also allows the user to just place the hive tool on the outside for efficiency while inspecting hives.
    Last edited by Jared.Downs; 08-29-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: expanding info

The real question is......
    is that a real maxant hive tool, or a knock off?
    www.maxantindustries.com

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    The real question is......
    is that a real maxant hive tool, or a knock off?
    100% Maxant !! We try to keep it local with our purchases. In the world of beekeeping supplies I'd say Mass is local. Especially since my last job was off of 495 in Mass.

It says on it that you've pat'd in USA & CAN. (Just as proof that it's a real one) Do you find a lot of companies making knock offs?

There are about 5 companies making copies.

Thanks for supporting a local New England company!
    www.maxantindustries.com

There are about 5 companies making copies.

Thanks for supporting a local New England company!
    Dang, even though it's patented? Have you gone after them?

When / if I get to the point of having a bunch more hives, I'll make sure to come to you for extracting equipment. Do you guys manufacture in Mass or through out the US?

We make everything right here in our shop in Ma!
    www.maxantindustries.com

We make everything right here in our shop in Ma!
    when are you going to bring back the other hive tool you made years ago? I was down to my last one and delivered honey to the person that sold me my original ones 30+ years ago.
    He's now retired, told him I was going to have to quit beekeeping because no one made the hive tool that I used any more, he sent his wife somewhere to find "those hive tools that don't have any paint on them" she came back with five and he let me have them.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Today, I will try to take a photo of the leather tool carrier that I have used since 1965. This year I had a leathersmith make me a new one. This one had almost worn through. It fits in your back pocket, is slightly gusseted so the tool will slide in and out easily, and also is made so that it can be worn with the belt going through it. I use it every day. Will try to get photos and upload today.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Today, I will try to take a photo of the leather tool carrier that I have used since 1965. This year I had a leathersmith make me a new one. This one had almost worn through. It fits in your back pocket, is slightly gusseted so the tool will slide in and out easily, and also is made so that it can be worn with the belt going through it. I use it every day. Will try to get photos and upload today.

cchoganjr

That'd be awesome, looking forward to seeing it thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast