Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive Tool - Use / Storage

28K views 75 replies 25 participants last post by  snl 
#1 ·
Hey all, so my contract product design position just ended (ie, now unemployed) and I need to keep busy. I wanted to start a person project and look at redesigning the hive tool / some thing for storing it. I'm in my first season and wanted to turn to all of you for feedback on your likes / dislikes of what is currently on the market.

I'd like to start a dialogue about how members of beesource use their hive tools, more specifically:

-Do you use a hive tool? If so, what type?

-What hand do you use the tool(s) in?

-For what functions / how do you use the tool(s)?

-What are the pros / cons of the hive tool(s) you have?

-What features would you want to see in the "ultimate hive tool"?

-Where do you put the hive tool when when inspecting a hive and it's not in your hand?

-Anything else I should know??

It'd be great to hear from:

-New Beeks
-Seasoned Hobbyists
-Sideliners
-Commercial Keepers

Thanks in advance; I created another thread about veils and you guys/gals were great in responding. Just as an update, I've since prototyped a few and been testing my homemade veil with my bees and so far love it/need to continue tweaking it. http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?286502-Veils-Black-Mesh

See less See more
#6 ·
sweetas, I like the J-curve tool as well and forged one a while back. mine is a touch too thick, but manageable. How do you get around inserting the flat end between boxes? with the J on the opposite side, i have a hard time forcing it between boxes and a solid tap from my palm does little but hurt my hand. I think this is due to by thickness. Would you mind sharing the thickness of yours?

#8 ·
@sweetas- and @KPeacock-
For a J-curve tool are you simply referring to this style? http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Hive-Tool-Holster-10-Hive-Tool/productinfo/495C/

Does anyone use a holster like in the image shown?

@TWall-

Thanks for the link! I still think there might be room for improvement but I appreciate the link!

I noticed in that thread, someone mentioned the price being a bit high at $18.00

How does a price near $20 make you feel? Or has the bee keeping community come to expect the hive tools to be inexpensive?

#14 ·
Wen,
The bees do better with the brush if you use a short flicking motion, longer strokes will roll them under the brush which REALLY ticks them off.

#16 ·
@Michael Bush-

Thanks for bringing that tool to my attention. Always good to see the variety.

Does any one have any major complaints about what they do not like about their tools? I'm getting a great response for what people do like and I'd love to have a counter balance. Thanks a ton!

#17 ·
As far as price, I can't beat the $3-$4 for the economy hive tool that some sell. If I go through 2 or 3 tools a year, that's still pretty good. So in that light, $18-$20 may seem steep. But for a good exclusive multi-functional tool? To be determined. I know commercial beeks that go through cases of tools each year. For Easter, they take the grandkids out to the beeyards and see who can find the most hive tools; forget the easter eggs! Anyway, keep brainstorming, sounds good so far.

#62 ·
I know commercial beeks that go through cases of tools each year. For Easter, they take the grandkids out to the beeyards and see who can find the most hive tools; forget the easter eggs! Anyway, keep brainstorming, sounds good so far.
@westernbeekeeper-

I think I missed this comment when you made it. I was just going back through the thread from the beginning and rereading everything. Are you serious about that??? If this is true that is a great example of highlighting an area for improvement.

And thanks for the support on the brainstorming. Still searching for full time work so you're comments help with the lows that come with being unemployed.

#19 ·
To go the other way... I like the Italian hive tool better than any other I've tried because it will pry up the end bars, the hook fits between the top bars (unlike the Maxant version), it's long so it has a lot of leverage, it's light so it's easy to carry around. The only thing that ever bothers me is the rare occasions when i would have used my palm for a hammer on the standard hive tool to get it started, I can't do that with the hook.

#24 ·
@Kidbeeyoz-

Redesigning products that have not really changed much can be a challenge. The beekeeping population has come to expect that a hive tool does certain things. I have a number of ideas that I am working with but an SHB trap is not entirely exciting for a portfolio piece. A hive tool involves ergonomics, manufacturing processes, and fits the design process that I need to follow nicely. But I will add an SHB trap to my list of products to design. Gotta get one out there to build some credibility.

What IS needed is a really good way to carry the thing - a strong magnet on the front of my jacket for example. I have a bad habit of leaving my tool in my back pocket until I feel it hang on the truck seat.
@David LaFerney-

Awesome. That feedback is gold. That helps big time for communicating what one of the "problems" I was targeting. I have already prototyped a "holster" or a wearable storage solution for hive tools. And I've been using it during my hive inspections. I'll post a few pictures. But essentially is a a sewn good that attaches to a belt that has a magnet sewn inside.

A magnet on a clip that I slip onto my pocket is what I have and it works great! I just "slap" the HT on it when not in use and it stays put until I need it. Had to try several magnets until I found the one that held it fast to the clip even if I bumped it against something......
@snl-

Do you wear a belt when inspecting hives? Or do you prefer something that slides into your pocket? This is great feedback, thanks!

Does any one else have anything they hate? Dislike? Want to see included / removed?

How does everyone feel about the "flat" handle on each hive tool?

#22 ·
The Italian tool that Michael bush uses is great - except it lacks the scraper action that standard tools have. The Kent Williams tools takes care of all of that quite effectively. Like any multi-purpose tool it isn't quite as good at some of the individual things as more specialized tools, but mighty close. If you lose tools (I rarely ever do) then it's pricey - if you can keep up with things then it is well worth the $17 I paid for mine.

What IS needed is a really good way to carry the thing - a strong magnet on the front of my jacket for example. I have a bad habit of leaving my tool in my back pocket until I feel it hang on the truck seat.

#23 ·
A magnet on a clip that I slip onto my pocket is what I have and it works great! I just "slap" the HT on it when not in use and it stays put until I need it. Had to try several magnets until I found the one that held it fast to the clip even if I bumped it against something......

#27 ·
-Do you use a hive tool? If so, what type? Yes. 9.5 inch standare steel bar like this.
http://westernbeestore.3dcartstores.com/95-Painted-Spring-Steel_p_307.html

-What hand do you use the tool(s) in? Right

-For what functions / how do you use the tool(s)? Mainly prying boxes apart and separating frames. I will scrape with it often also. removal of wax on the walls of the box and top of frames.

-What are the pros / cons of the hive tool(s) you have? No place to keep it. to narrow on the wide end to do the job I want it to do. needs to be more like 2 inches wide at the wide end. Has no scraper edge for small areas and crevices. No place to keep it handy. Pros are small light and sharp, fabricated from quality strong steel.

-What features would you want to see in the "ultimate hive tool"? It will quickly and easy fit on my belt, suit leg or wherever. Right now I am looking at where and how to place a magnet on my bee suit for holding it. It needs to be able to lift that first frame as well. all other frames are no issue.
This one actually gets so long I am limiting my response.
I in fact want a hive tool that will perform every function I could possibly need to do during an inspection including cutting out comb or queen cells. lifting the frame holding the frame etc. Then I would work hives with one in each hand.

-Where do you put the hive tool when when inspecting a hive and it's not in your hand? I lay it on top of the next hive with all my other tools smoker etc.

-Anything else I should know??

#31 ·
I love my hand forged, extra heavy duty 18" J-hook tool, which I made two of them from a leaf spring. It's about 1/4" thick in the middle, tapering down to wicked sharp at the business end. It's only drawback is that propolis loves it, too. I'm an ambidextrous hive tool user. I keep it on a magnet on my belt when not in use. I may eventually have it chromium plated to facilitate cleaning, and stamp my name into it.

I also made a 90 degree cut-out tool for removing combs from attics, etc. It is also nice and long - about 18" overall, 16" to the bend.

#32 ·
The feedback from everyone has been great!

@Daniel Y-
Thanks for filling out each question in greater detail. Incredibly helpful!

I'm in the process of lining up a meeting with a local leather worker for some shop time. So I think I might take this project in the direction of a holster / storage accessory and save redesigning the hive tool for the next project.

I've spent a few hours sketching and compiled a sketch page and want to keep everyone in the loop.

Feel free to make any comments.

Here is a prototype I made the other day and have tested at my hives:

Here is the sketch page:

#36 ·
@snl-

You echo my thoughts exactly. I think the inverted "U" shape such as the design on the bottom right of the sketch page could work well with both belts and pockets.

Either by cutting the leather extra long in the back or sewing in a second magnet.

Thanks for the feedback!

#35 ·
I use the standard US hive tool, usually in my left hand.
Its first purpose is as prybar, to loosen lids, supers, and frames. It also serves as nail puller, hammer and scraping tool. Hmmm, there must be something else. Also to manipulate the fuel in the smoker as I get it going. And to push the frames around in the super.
About the only time I've broken one was trying to pry apart an old hive that hadn't been touched for ............years, shall we say.
I lose one occasionally. I find it helpful to paint them a bright color or, white will do also. Actually you can sometimes work bees without the smoker; however, with no hive tool, forget it.

#37 ·
I just thought I would share a picture of my belt and tool set up. It was designed by Paul Kelly from the Universty of Guelph. I bought it from Paul last year and am lost in the bee yard without it! It holds a hive tool of choice, 1 sharpie, 1 paint marker, a hair roller cage with the end pluged for holding a queen when doing a inspection or whatever and I have a knife on mine. You could also put scissors in it if you clip wings. Everything that I use often.

#39 ·
I just thought I would share a picture of my belt and tool set up. It was designed by Paul Kelly from the Universty of Guelph. I bought it from Paul last year and am lost in the bee yard without it! It holds a hive tool of choice, 1 sharpie, 1 paint marker, a hair roller cage with the end pluged for holding a queen when doing a inspection or whatever and I have a knife on mine. You could also put scissors in it if you clip wings. Everything that I use often.

@Creekside-

Thanks for the picture! That's a nice little rig. I like how the magnet is imbedded in a piece of wood. In one of my sketches I show a piece of wood that has something similar and then has a leather strap for fitting on a belt.

@julysun-

Thanks for that link, interesting to see how people in other industries handle certain challenges

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.