Default Unused bars of comb

This is my second season with my top bar hive and while me bees appear to be doing well and are reasonably productive, they have avoided using two bars of brood comb left from last year. They have about 18 bars built out with brood and honey, except these two bars that are essentially vacant. They are mid way through the brood zone, but not next to each other. No signs of pests or disease in the hive. I figure I'll take these two bars out next week when I start getting things ready for autumn.

Just wondering if others have come across the same situation and if it is cause for concern?

Jeff
    (5300' in Colorado)

Default Re: Unused bars of comb

Hmm interesting, have they not used those combs at all from last year. Those combs could be cleaned out awaiting for the queen. Perhaps nothing coming in to fill or produce brood

What cell size is the comb, worker or drone?

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll check the comb next weekend, but I'm pretty sure its worker cells. Except for these two bars, they've reused everything from last year, and expanded 3 or 4 new bars of comb.

Got back to the hive today and the unused combs now have about half larva, and a little honey and pollen. I guess they were just waiting for the queen to get back to that section. The queen is not laying very heavily in any one area, maybe its time for a new queen next spring.