Default once you treat for varroa

So after you treat for mites , what happens ? Dumb question , i know . If I understand correctly the mites feed off the "blood" of the bees . Do they just keep feeding until nothing is left? If you kill the mite then the bee has the chance to rebuild its "blood supply" Can bees recover from mites or does mite control mean that future bees wont be affected but current bees are doomed?

Default Re: once you treat for varroa

I think it would depend on the treatment. Some are said to affect brood while they are capped. I have also seen some posts where some say it weakens the bees including the queen and in some cases the queens and a certain percentage of bees die due to the treatment. Seems like this isn't the result for everyone but it does seem to happen.

In those cases I would say the bees recover but probably not back to 100%. The workers themselves will be replaced by new ones but if the queen is also damaged then she may not lay well. Seems like one may want to replace the queen with better genetics after a successful treatment if you went that route.
    Last edited by scallawa; 08-24-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: clarity

i think the bees are affected more by the viruses that the mites infect them with than by getting their blood sucked out. the viruses cause diseases that end up killing the colony.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

Remember that often the bees are mite infested when they emerge. Those bees are most likely never completely healthy even if a later treatment would result in the mite falling off.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

mites are a two fold problem. 1 the mites themselves weaken the bees by sucking their "blood". When the mite is removed they probably recover some. 2. mites transmit diseases. Deformed wing virus seems to be the biggest problem because it does not kill the bees immediately. By staying in the background for a long time the virus gets to spread and infect more bees. There are some reports that it can eventually reach high enough concentrations that it can be transmitted directly (research on the web) and if the queen is heavily infected her ovaries quit working . So the answer is more complicated. Killing the mites reduces the threat that DWV becomes deadly and it probably allows the damaged bees to recover some. The main thing is it reduces the virus load. I don't have any evidence but I would suspect a lot of mysterious colony loss with no dead bees, brood in cells and plenty of honey present could be because the virus or viruses reached critical mass and stopped the queen from laying and since there was still a queen the colony did not try to requeen until there were no eggs to use.

One thing to remember is that bees in the summertime don't live for very long: 45 days or so. New bees are being born all the time to replace those that die off. When you treat you are breaking the cycle of young bees being immediately paratisized (Webster's calls that word a noun so they don't list a proper spelling) Treating this time of year can help the longer living winter bees start winter healthier. And of course as has been pointed out already, diseases that are vectored by mites often are a bigger problem than the mites themselves.

Thanks everyone for the input . I have ordered an Oxalic acid vaporizer and believe I am going to give that a try . I have found some mites , not many , on my bottom trays . I know I have them but it does not seem like the count is real high yet so I want to keep things in check and from what I have read now seems to be a good treatment time.

Where did you get the vapourizor from?

I ordered it from Heilyser technology up in BC