Default Number of strips in MAQS sealed packages

Hello,
    newbee here, i have 2 hives I started this spring, both have mites one 168 for 36 hrs the other 38. I purchased 4 treatments from a local supplier who sells individual packets instead of purchasing a full container. I received 4 sealed packets. I was not aware there are two strips in each package and you have to peel them apart so I cut open the package and put the content of two packages 4 pads on one of my hives...a day later there are a ton of dead mites on my trays and only a handful of dead bees...but I'm really worried about the queen. Anyone else make this mistake and still have bees to talk about?

Default Re: Number of strips in MAQS sealed packages

Sorry I can not help, but I almost did the same thing myself. I was going to treat 1 hive and my local supplier gave me 2 packs. This was his first year selling MAQS and he thought it was 1 strip per pack. He called me later that day and let me know the mistake. Lucky for me I was waiting for it to cool down some and had not used it yet. I can see how easy it would be to think there was only 1 per pack, even after he told me there was 2, it looked like only 1 strip to me. A few days later when I decided to treat, sure enough there was 2. You just had to peel them apart.
    How long have the strips been in the hive? It might be good idea to take them out if you have not already. Try not to feel too bad, I would have probably made the same mistake if my supplier had not called. Good luck with your bees.

I did that this past spring. What is sad is I have experience with the product and was just not thinking. If you have not already done so, pull the extra pads off. Make sure you are well vented. What I got was immediate queen supercedure in 33 percent of hives. I had numerous emergency cells in all hives and forced splits to deal with them.

My queens that were not done away with by the hives did fine. My splits all had good queen takes.

The key to MAQS is to treat at the cooler end of recommendation and vent your hives.

Good luck

Aren't there dosing instructions on the individual packages? If not then it is illegal for the supplier to sell the individual packages. The fines are really steep.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burrup View Post
    Aren't there dosing instructions on the individual packages? If not then it is illegal for the supplier to sell the individual packages. The fines are really steep.
    Dave
    No instructions on package...there ended up being a note from the supplier to put one per hive bit I of course did not see it till after applying so my mistake. I will say this the manufacture does a really bad job with its instructional video. They say nothing about having two strips per package and only showing cutting open package with scissors and then inserted a photo that shows them doing something with the hive tool..
    Which is left up to the viewer to figure out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FpQPlhl...%3DFpQPlhlQL58