Default FatBeeMan's SHB traps under screened bottom board?

Is there any reason the think FatBeeMan's SHB traps would not work taped to the underside of a screened bottom board? Eight squares to the inch - Mike

Default Re: FatBeeMan's SHB traps under screened bottom board?

Not thought about that, but I have used his shb trap in all my hives, and they have worked great. At first I was reluctant to put boric acid in my hives, but I have seen no adverse effects on the bees, but have seen a bunch of dead shb. I just followed his directions to the letter.

Matt, what type trap did you use?

I got the idea from a fat man bee video on youtube. He uses old political signs, puts boric acid in the slots and seals both ends with crisco. It's cheap, easy, and it works!

I made some, but so far they have not caught a single bug. Do you put them on the bottom? I put them there, but the shb's I have seen seen to congregate at the top of the bars (top bar hive). I recently move them to the top of one of the sides to see if it helps.

I do put them on the bottom of the tbh. I saw a lot less shb after I started using them, and like you I saw very few dead shb. I think what happens is they crawl through the trap, get the boric acid on them, and then come out and die somewhere in the hive. The bees will then remove the dead ones, which might explain why we don t see many dead beadles. I do know the shb population went down dramatically after using them. I do replace them every couple of weeks.

Ah ha! I was thinking it was like a roach motel and I would see it packed for of dead SHB's. I'll reload them up, they have been in there for a while now.