Thread: first trap out

Smile first trap out

we have done a lot of cut outs but have stayed away from trap outs. We finally succumbed to a whinny customer and agreed to try one for him. His bees are in a concrete block wall with ever other block a 8x8x8 with a little extra piece sticking out. We used tapcons to attach a brace against the wall and placed a nuc on it with a hole cut in one end to match the opening in the wall. There was no way to get a tight fit so I gobbed a whole 12 oz tube of caulk around the back of the box to seal the spaces. I placed two built out frames in the box and put the cover on. We will check on it sunday and if things look tight I will add a frame of brood and honey to the nuc. I am pretty much trying to follow the Hogan method. If the caulk doe not hold does any one have a better idea?
    I plan to give it two weeks before I check to see if the queen has moved out and is laying in the nuc. Did I miss any thing else I should have done?

Default Re: first trap out

Use an 1 7/8 inch diamond hole saw and drill a hole in block. Insert a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe about about 8 to 10 inches long in hole.
    Use 1 7/8 inch holesaw to cut a hole in your nuc.
    Attach to nuc by slipping pipe in nuc and adding a 2 inch to 1 1/2 reducer or bushing.
    Make sure your nuc is setting on something stable, ladder or frame attached to wall with tapcons.
    Who knows, what you have may work just great.
    I love the pvc as it is extremely versatile.
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

If the caulk does not work, I have had success with steel wool. The downside is keeping it dry because it will turn into "steel-rust." Perhaps packing the opening with the wool and covering it with a little caulk...only if the size of the opening warrants it.

I use the black plastic mesh from roof venting systems, pack it in and cover with caulk, and your good to go.