Default August swarm...need advice

I'm a 2nd year beek with currently 3 hives, double deeps with medium supers each. 2 new packages this year and one survivor hive from last year. Strong population and capped brood larvae in each which I am pleased with but had alot of rain this year and in a dearth the past 2 weeks but pollen is starting to be brought in with golden rod and aster blooming. Then comes Wed. 08-21-13 with a swarm approx: 2lb which I witnessed from the survivor hive which landed in my orchard and was able to catch in a queen catcher(marked queen) and placed in a nuc box. Friday 08-23-13 I saw the survivor hive swarm again and landed in my apple orchard again, large swarm of probably 8lbs. and didn't locate the queen but they all marched into the super which is packed. I'm in western Pennsylvania and is late in the year and am thinking of a paper combine for these two and let the queens decide who wins, don't want 3 weak hives. Looking for suggestions...Thanks

P.S. These were easy catches and my first and was pleased with the experience....lucky me I got to work these off the ground.....couldn't ask for anything easier.
    Last edited by archer5x; 08-24-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: August swarm...need advice

First things first. Your biggest priority is to get yesterdays 8 lbs. swarm to stay. This late in the season with that many bees they are VERY likely to abscond on you today or tomorrow. You need to either go through them and catch and cage the queen for 3 or 4 days, or give them a couple of frames of open brood THIS MORNING to anchor them in. They also need a lot more room, that big of a swarm I would put in 2 deeps, or a deep and a medium. And feed them if you don't have a flow going.

You have lots of time to combine them later. Combining them right now and letting the two queens fight it out would almost garantee the bigger swarm would absond on you.

Don

Check your survivor hive for mites and hive beetles as well -- if the beetles got out of hand, the large swarm absconded, leaving next to nothing in the hive. I've had it happen twice now.

Your large swarm should build up well if you feed it with a hivetop feeder and plenty of pollen supplement -- you need to get quite a bit of syrup on them if you expect them to make it through the winter, they will need 80 lbs at least stored!

Peter

We are fortunate that we have no hive beetles in my area yet and the hives are mite free as of two weeks ago (state bee inspector was here and everything was fine). I have them on drawn foundation and a frame or two of honey/pollen and a couple frames of wax foundation and a frame of brood. Emailed my local bee guy and waiting some suggestions.

Chuck
    Last edited by archer5x; 08-24-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling error