Default Opinions on US Plastics "Flex-off" containers as pail feeders?

I'm considering buying some containers from US Plastics and I would like to know how people feel about the ones they may have purchased.

I'm considering the 142 oz containers for 8-frame medium hives, and the 70 oz containers for 5-frame nucs.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=30659

The prices and sizes are fine, how well do the lids retain their seal?
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: Opinions on US Plastics "Flex-off" containers as pail feeders?

I use US Plastics for my spice containers (for a different operation) and like them very much. Shipping is fast and none of my shipments has experienced any damage. The price is good, too.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

I've done business with them in the past for raw sheet materials and they are a good company. Can't attest to the pails, but if you contact them, they will help you out.

how will you install the hole/screen? I have been thinking of doing this myself. has been hard to find pails that fit medium hive bodies
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    how will you install the hole/screen? I have been thinking of doing this myself. has been hard to find pails that fit medium hive bodies
    I'll simply ice pick a few holes in them, or stack the lids and drill a few small holes in several at the same time. I'm not going to fiddle around with the screens/plugs.

PS I made some feeder jars with 1/8" brass tubing. A lot of syrup can be consumed through a 1/8" hole so a few small holes should be fine.
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 07-16-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Additional information
    BeeCurious

I really like those flexoff containers. Make sure when you order from US Plastics that you *only* order online. If you order over the phone, they won't give you an accurate shipping quote, and then they'll throw a 3lb catalog in the box and make you pay to ship that to yourself.

Those 142oz...a lot of feed with only one box over top, and since it's the only box size I have that's important. If you're making 1:1, you can also dump a whole 5lb bag of sugar into the bucket (if you can still find 5lb bags), put 10C of warm water over it, and stir it right in the bucket. It fits with about 1" of space left at the top and means you don't need to wash out some other vessel. The lids snap on and off well, haven't had any trouble yet with them leaking. US Plastics will just sell you lids if you ever need them, but again, I think you have to call for them and make sure they don't nail you w/shipping for that $#@!$!# catalog.
    License not replace eyes, ears, and brain.
    - Mr. Miyagi

Looks intriguing. I am trying to run all mediums, too. How hard are those lids to put on and take off?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 9 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Apparently my Flex-Off lids are not 100%, perfectly sealed...

I have not seen an actual leak but there must be a miniscule amount of seepage that attracts bees if the pail is not enclosed in an additional box.

I decided to remove the metal handles and use duct tape to keep bees away from the rim on the exposed pails...
    BeeCurious