Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Wife's out of town, and I really messed up.

17K views 75 replies 52 participants last post by  nobull56 
#1 ·
Going through the house, from the back yard to the garage, I realized I had to go . . . bad. Thinking it would just take a minute, I set the super I was carrying down on the floor. When I returned from the restroom, I went to pick up the super, and it was stuck to the brand new light-colored carpet. I un-stuck it, but there is now a perfect square of propolis on the carpet. :eek:

Please help. How do I get this out of the carpet? I have never been able to remove it from anything. I am so screwed. :pinch:

#29 ·
Do you guys have a cleaning product in US supermarkets called Handy Andy? Takes a little rubbing but it will completely dissolve propolis. You should also get a carpet machine in to suck out the residue.

#39 ·
go out and find the neighbors doggie yard and walk back in the house...she will NEVER notice the propilis stain :D my wife found some solution on the web to clean carpets, however it said test in inconspicious area first so I wont post it
I am praying for you that you find a contractor to build you a shed in the back yard to live in.

all the attention is because we all know what wifes do when husbands do stupid things

#40 ·
Show her this thread and tell her we are all asking for her to have mercy on our fellow beek. Remind her of how we often stumble without our wives there to guide us. And how your mind was consumed with the sorrow of her absence, which led to the unfortunate error. I try to really lay in on thick, so my wife laughs and does not have the heart to give me too severe a beating. I've even gotten my dogs to sit by my side and hang their heads in sorrow, right along with me.

#42 · (Edited)
I am so screwed. :pinch:
The title was "wifes out of town I really messed up" and I read that and said why is wife being out of town a bad thing. It is my favorite thing.

Now that I read your post I understand what you meant. Yup honey can be steamed out of the carpet. Now propolis is another whole ball of wax (propolis). I would try alcohol or ice to make it harden up and try getting it to snap out.

Just to make you feel better. When I was a kid we were staying at a hotel. I got sap on my bathing suit from climbing a coconut tree. I went down to the hotel laundry and got a cup of bleach. I put it on the dresser in the hotel and went to the pool for a bit. I came back and grabbed the cup to go into the bathroom to work on the sap and picked up the wax paper cup and the bottom fell out. I quickly went and grabbed a towel to dry it off the carpet and dumped some water on it to help clean it up. After some scrubbing I had a massive 1 foot wide white spot in the slightly off center of the room. Not much I could do to fix that so we rearranged the furniture in the hotel room and checked out a few days later. Have not been back to the Frenchmans Reef hotel in St Thomas since.

I also agree with creating a bigger issue then the stain.

One idea would be to punch a really large hole in the roof let the ceiling cave in and soak the heck out of it with water. Then tell her that something fell through the roof and destroyed that part of the house. Since you survived that she will be so relieved that she wont know you screwed up so bad. You don't want to turn it into the insurance because your rates will go up. Be creative on how you destroy that section of the house. The more bizarre the better. You could drop a bowling ball from 30 feet above the house.

Set off sprinklers. Exploding Lysol can. Dog poop is a good idea. Gallon of stain would be good.

Burn down the house.

You could leave the front door open when the burglar comes in shoot him right above that section of the carpet. The blood will cover the stain. If not the outline spray paint might help mask it.

I would try to steer her away from the bee keeping. My wife complains enough about that. Remember to be creative. You have been married a long time and you don't want to ruin all that time invested over a #2. I would also play the lottery if you win big just sell the house. That is another idea sell the house or change the numbers on your house so she goes to the wrong one. God I am on a roll. Might try a few of those myself.

#43 ·
It is not the end of the world it is just carpet. If your wife had been more in tune with what is fashionable these days it would have been hardwood or ceramic tile. Carpet is bad for allergies. It really is her fault. Don't be too hard on her.:D

#46 ·
Hahahahaha. You're reading my mind Frankh. :lpf: D1here; I just had a shed built with two lofts in it. I guess I can clean one off. :scratch:

Actually; she is now fully aware and helping me brainstorm ideas to try. I have explained many of the ideas here on the forum. Couldn't find any dry ice today, but I will. The brake cleaner thing sounds a little scary, so I'll try alcohol etc. before that. Bee Bliss; "slave" is more the role than butler, but either way I will be on my best servant attitude. :eek:

#53 ·
Bee Whisperer, good idea, I was going to say - tell her now while she's still long distance.

After 39 years, I'm sure she's probably pretty used to this. Just another gaffe to overlook.

If it's any consolation, suffering (on both your parts) is good for the character. ;) You're doing her a favor. (Nah, maybe you better not mention that.)

#54 ·
While cleaning my van yesterday I noticed some propolis on the carpet so out of curiosity I tried to get it out. I had some carpet spray, alcohol, and degreaser non toxic citrus spray. These weren't the best choices to try but I went for it anyway. If nothing else it ended up much better than what it was. With some other products and that ice trick etc. I'm guessing you could get it out. The experience made me think you could. It took time for the propolis to soften up. Here is a video of my carpet cleaning test.

http://youtu.be/N-uX4QbkiXI

#55 ·
Let me get this straight, you carried a super into your house and set in down on the carpeting? No offense, but you deserve what's coming to you....

On a more positive note, you need some type of solvent. Tetrachloroethylene aka perchloroethylene (PCE) is what you need. It is what is used for drycleaning. You probably cant buy it without a license, but that is what a carpet cleaning is going to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.