Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Wife's out of town, and I really messed up.

Going through the house, from the back yard to the garage, I realized I had to go . . . bad. Thinking it would just take a minute, I set the super I was carrying down on the floor. When I returned from the restroom, I went to pick up the super, and it was stuck to the brand new light-colored carpet. I un-stuck it, but there is now a perfect square of propolis on the carpet.

Please help. How do I get this out of the carpet? I have never been able to remove it from anything. I am so screwed.
    No one famous.

Default Re: Wife's out of town, and I really messed up.

Yup, that's for sure. Better cut it out and replace it.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

wow, thats why i go outside.......... sorry bro, no help.......except go outside........

Uh oh.

You own any hair clippers?

How long you been married? I'm in 26 years, so kind of committed. Might not be too late for you to start fresh though.
    "Teach your kids to hunt and fish, and you won't have to hunt for your kids"
    Four Ridge Apiaries www.fourridgebees.com

rubbing alcohol gets it off my hands but i'm not sure about carpets

Thanks for the encouraging words. Does anyone have anything that will save my ability to sleep in the house? Either that, or does anyone have a great epitaph for my head stone?
    No one famous.

She going to kill you! ... I got dibs on the bees! Who wants the wood?
    Zone 9b. Second year newb.

call a professional carpet cleaner and have them come in and do it. Good luck!

I'd start with a the few items suggested, but call and schedule a pro carpet cleaner ASAP. If you get it out, just cancel the appointment
    Last edited by Barry; 08-24-2013 at 06:44 AM.
    Zone 9b. Second year newb.

I read this thread and its responses to my wife, and she had a giggle. She suggests confessing up front, followed by a stated plan for how the problem will be fixed. Might help to have estimates in hand.

There are solvents that will dissolve propolis, but none that should be used on carpet, let alone indoors (toluene, turpentine)
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

left over scrap of carpet, and a carpet installer can replace that small section in an hour. it will never show if the carpet is new. Good Luck You need it.

I've heard Everclear will cut it. If it don't work you can drink the Everclear just before she gets home!

Maybe you can set the super down all around and make a pattern. Nah I hope she likes roses or diamonds. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    I am so screwed.
    The title was "wifes out of town I really messed up" and I read that and said why is wife being out of town a bad thing. It is my favorite thing.

Now that I read your post I understand what you meant. Yup honey can be steamed out of the carpet. Now propolis is another whole ball of wax (propolis). I would try alcohol or ice to make it harden up and try getting it to snap out.

Just to make you feel better. When I was a kid we were staying at a hotel. I got sap on my bathing suit from climbing a coconut tree. I went down to the hotel laundry and got a cup of bleach. I put it on the dresser in the hotel and went to the pool for a bit. I came back and grabbed the cup to go into the bathroom to work on the sap and picked up the wax paper cup and the bottom fell out. I quickly went and grabbed a towel to dry it off the carpet and dumped some water on it to help clean it up. After some scrubbing I had a massive 1 foot wide white spot in the slightly off center of the room. Not much I could do to fix that so we rearranged the furniture in the hotel room and checked out a few days later. Have not been back to the Frenchmans Reef hotel in St Thomas since.

I also agree with creating a bigger issue then the stain.

One idea would be to punch a really large hole in the roof let the ceiling cave in and soak the heck out of it with water. Then tell her that something fell through the roof and destroyed that part of the house. Since you survived that she will be so relieved that she wont know you screwed up so bad. You don't want to turn it into the insurance because your rates will go up. Be creative on how you destroy that section of the house. The more bizarre the better. You could drop a bowling ball from 30 feet above the house.

Set off sprinklers. Exploding Lysol can. Dog poop is a good idea. Gallon of stain would be good.

Burn down the house.

You could leave the front door open when the burglar comes in shoot him right above that section of the carpet. The blood will cover the stain. If not the outline spray paint might help mask it.

I would try to steer her away from the bee keeping. My wife complains enough about that. Remember to be creative. You have been married a long time and you don't want to ruin all that time invested over a #2. I would also play the lottery if you win big just sell the house. That is another idea sell the house or change the numbers on your house so she goes to the wrong one. God I am on a roll. Might try a few of those myself.
    Last edited by EastSideBuzz; 08-24-2013 at 05:35 PM.

It is not the end of the world it is just carpet. If your wife had been more in tune with what is fashionable these days it would have been hardwood or ceramic tile. Carpet is bad for allergies. It really is her fault. Don't be too hard on her.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I don't think you will get very far critisizing a man's Wife, Brian. I don't think you should go there.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Try alcohol or my favorite propolis remover acetone, just avoid sparks or open flames while working.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    When I returned from the restroom,
    Well, I hope at least is was a good one and everything came out all right.

I cleaned out the aquarium once-set the heater on a carpeted floor. Yup, forgot to turn it off. Burned a nice cylinder style hole in the carpet. The aquarium stand hid the damage until the wife decided she wanted hardwood.

Let me get this straight, you carried a super into your house and set in down on the carpeting? No offense, but you deserve what's coming to you....

On a more positive note, you need some type of solvent. Tetrachloroethylene aka perchloroethylene (PCE) is what you need. It is what is used for drycleaning. You probably cant buy it without a license, but that is what a carpet cleaning is going to use.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Well it's been 4 days. Did you try anything? Update please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast