Thread: Honey prices

Default Honey prices

Hello all, I'm a first time beekeeper and just harvested my first honey. Pretty exciting! I'm having a hard time finding out how much to charge for my honey. I bottled in 1.5 lb containers. Do you know where I would get this information? Thanks in advance for the advice

Default Re: Honey prices

Congratulations! There is no feeling quite like harvesting your first honey after all the spent time and money and stings of course.

Pricing is very area specific. Don't try to match grocery store prices. There are some regional retail prices in the bee magazines. Here in middle GA I get $6 for a 1 pound jar. 90 minutes north in Atlanta, folks are getting $9 or more for the same pound of wildflower honey. If I charged that much here, folks would quickly go elsewhere. I would check out local farmers markets and maybe your local bee club to see what other local beeks are getting.

Yup, the local farmer's market idea is the right one. Go around and see what everyone else in your area is charging, and use that as your reference.

Just don't do any drastic undercutting, those guys are doing the same thing you are, and you'd be rightly upset if some new upstart came in and tried to steal all your business. Make friends with the other suppliers, not enemies.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Bee Culture magazine post regional prices each month

Quote Originally Posted by indianajeff View Post
    Bee Culture magazine post regional prices each month
    This is true, mostly wholesale prices. But I know few specialty bee keepers who sell their honey for those prices. sell it for what the other bee keepers who retail sell it for, in time you will have more demand than product.

Market will determine pricing. I charge the following, never a complaint, always sell out.

1lb Muth - $10
    12oz Squeeze Beer - $7
    2oz MiniBear - $2

Clarksville, iowa... I get $5 pints, $10 quarts, 2.50 half pints. if they buy a 5 gallon bucket, then it $180. that seems to be about average for my area.

I also do not harvest fall honey. I pull all honey off that I was before the 1st week of august.
    The fall flow/honey taste goes to the hives. Fall honey has a distinctive taste.

I average $10/ lb net wt. I sell out every year before I want to. I pulled just under 500 lbs last year and was sold out by Thanksgiving.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Last Saturday I went to a local Farmers Market, planning to sell some honey. Another beek was already set up and offering pints for $4 and quarts for $7.50. I politely visited with him and went home. I'm not interested in selling that cheap.

Smart thing to do, Leonard. Or buy every thing he has and make it up 50 percent.

Crazy Roland

Sell yours at the best fair price you can get
    Don't. Cut another beekeeper
    We all work,hard for that honey
    Keep a fair price

Good plan, Roland!! At least I do know it would be local honey!

I started last year
    $6-pound squeeze
    $8-pints
    $15-quarts
    that is what i get and i have had people asking for it for a couple months got probably 30 pounds spoke for already