Default yellow jackets in with bees

I was just checking some of my hives today pulling frames out of top hive body to find yellow jackets in with my girls I thought they would kill them I guess I was wrong will the lay brood in hive OH and this site will be a lot of help when I get to know how to use it that will be when I know bees we know that is never that's what I like about it always learning thanks again from northern MI.

Default Re: yellow jackets in with bees

I would reduce the entrance? is the hive strong and healthy? I expect they are just robbing. They try to get in my hive but I have reduced the entrance to about 2" on my weak hive and they are able to fend them off eaisily.

We are having a horrible time with yellow jackets in my area this year... they will rob the honey and kill bees. You need to reduce the hive and get yellow jacket traps up a.s.a.p. I had a top feeder on my queen castle and left a little access open accidently and the next day seeing them go in I looked.. at least 100 yellow jackets in there; many drowned. The entrance is way reduced but I see them try and go into my strong hive and also ambush flying bees. I've never seen it this bad and everyone is telling me it is an exceptional year. Good luck to you...I would do less them 2"

Welcome RBM!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I have a ground level hive with a 3/4" deep entrance having yellow jackets enter, but my hive up on a deck with 3/8" entrances have none.