Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

storage of comb with honey and pollen

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  NewbeeInNH 
#1 ·
How do you all store frames of honey and pollen over winter or do you?

I want to store some for next spring's nucs but I don't want to fill the freezer with them. Is there another way?

thanks!

#4 ·
My suggestion would be to look in the for sale adds available to you and try to find a low cost freezer of suitable size, after your winter is over just unplug it till needed again. This will cost a little bit but should be good for many years of use.

#6 ·
Since you already have the extra fridge/freezer then place them in the fridge and give each frame a pass through the freezer for 24 hours and place it back in the fridge for winter storage, I would think this would work fine.

#7 ·
We give them 24 hours in the freezer then store them in supers in the barn. Supers are on cement and covered to keep out bees, beetles, etc. Also add a few mouse traps around.Cold in our area so haven't had any issues - yet. That said, we keep a fair bit of honey on the hives overwinter and normally Have a surplus in the spring which makes for easy splits - I.e. 2 deeps is normal overwinter and last spring our hives still had 3_5 frames of honey left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.