Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: repruccisions of using too much smoke?

Well, you had me pegged in that section!

Guess the only thing left to do is internet research on the true benefits of smoke on bees. There have to be scientific studies.

Seems to boil down to masking pheromones. Is it necessary; is it beneficial...

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    ...One thing about beekeepers of the past, is they may not have had the zip-tight beesuits we have today, so smokers may have been more about them not getting stung... I haven't gotten stung once yet, even when they have been angry, like when the hive got knocked over one evening by what must have been a black bear and I stacked it right back up (suited up)...
    Unless you've for a multi-layered suit like the Ultra-Bee or something, don't plan on the suit stopping stings. I was doing a cut out a couple of weeks ago and we got them mad enough, and they started punching me fulling holes just fine through my suit. Anywhere it touches you, they can go through.

I dunno. My Brushy Mtn. suit hasn't failed me yet.

I received some Honey that tasted like smoke this year, not very good IMO.
    What are words for when no one listens anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    I dunno. My Brushy Mtn. suit hasn't failed me yet.
    I have not gotten one sting through my suite yet. Through my gloves about three times.
    I wear jeans and a shirt under my suit plus high work boots. I think it is a good idea to have your suite big and loose fitting. A friend came over to look at an angry hive three weeks ago and got stung about 6-8 times through his tight fitting suite. Some on the top of his head even. He walked away and I stepped in and closed up the hive with out one sting through the suite. The girls were going Rangy on us. Chased us all the way up the yard and would not leave for about 20 minutes.

I'm still trying to figure out how much smoke to use on my hives. I'm going to try using less and see if they behave any differently. I think I use too much smoke some times?!?!?

Glen

Yup, I've heard loose fitting is the way to go.

And for gloves, I pick up Mr. Clean bliss premium latex free gloves at the grocery store (in a box), $3.69. I've never gotten stung thru those, and I'm on my 2nd pair.

My bees need smoke, if I take the inner cover off without it a few will come and greet me.

But it takes just a little, if my smoker is almost out where I can barely see smoke it's still enough to take the inner cover off. If I pull frames I need more.

I suspect that if you have very gentile bees, like the kind that people don't suit up for, you might be ok not smoking, but if your bees are coming at you then you need smoke.

>Guess the only thing left to do is internet research on the true benefits of smoke on bees. There have to be scientific studies.

LOL
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

LOLing the LOL.

I guess you're right.

Hey, it's a start.

Has anyone heard of using a little 'tobacco' in your smoker for tracheal mites?

It seems to me that there is somewhat of an anti-smoking campaign amongst some of the new backyarders. Never understood why. Maybe it is the whole “natural” approach that people don’t like to smoke.

That and the “use just a tiny puff, or the bees will become agitated” advice that is oft repeated. I probably over-smoke by most people’s standards on Beesource and never had a problem. It calms the bees and I have never seen them become agitated. My honey does not taste like smoke either.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12