Hybrid View

Default repercussions of using too much smoke?

Hi All:
    I usually try to use a minimal amount of smoke when I look into my bees. The bees have been aggressive so I have used more smoke which seems to help. My husband (who helps me but is not a beek) is always wanting too smoke a lot. I know it is fine line but what are the potential drawbacks of using too much smoke.
    PS....I spelled repercussion wrong..but could not edit

Default Re: repruccisions of using too much smoke?

I had nectar that turned into honey taste like smoke once when I used too much. True story.

Often using too much smoke will increase aggression, also rapid pumping of the smoker bellows can create a very hot smoke which damages the bees.

Not to mention that the more you smoke the more you set the bees back. If you check the hive often, and smoke heavily, You could cost yourself a super of valuable honey.

According to my experience, there are 2 types of hives. One that are sensitive to smoke and ones that are not. The ones sensitive to smoke are the ones you want to have. They are gentle and not aggressive. The ones not sensitive to smoke are the ones you don't want to have. Last year I had a hive that I started with a package that did not respond to any amount of smoke. So if you have to use a lot of smoke on a hive you should think of rqueening.

Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    According to my experience, there are 2 types of hives. One that are sensitive to smoke and ones that are not. The ones sensitive to smoke are the ones you want to have. They are gentle and not aggressive. The ones not sensitive to smoke are the ones you don't want to have. Last year I had a hive that I started with a package that did not respond to any amount of smoke. So if you have to use a lot of smoke on a hive you should think of rqueening.
    Agreed, I barely need to use smoke, a little bit when initially opening the hive & I usually hit em up with another puff when they're lined like soldiers up at the top bar of the frames motionlessly staring me down.