Default Swarm in trouble?

Two days ago (Saturday) I did my regular morning check (8:00 AM) on my observation hive located in my woodshop...everything was fine. Sunday morning I checked again only to discover a LARGE portion of bees were gone. I concluded they must have swarmed sometime on Saturday....probably in the afternoon since it was a very nice day. I gave a cursory look outside my workshop to see if I could fine the swarm but had no success.
    Sunday afternoon (another nice day) I was sitting on my front porch with my friend, having a few cocktails and solving all of the world's problems, when I happen to glance about 40 feet up in a sugar maple tree directly in front of us, when I was shocked to see my swarm! Totally inaccessible, irretrievable, and out of reach. I surmised it had been there from the previous afternoon, meaning, they had been there for approximately 24 hours.

Thinking I had to act fast I quickly set up a fresh hive on the roof of my house about 40-50 feet from the swarm....baited it with lemon grass oil, and started hoping for the best. I stayed and watched the swarm for the rest of the afternoon and into the evening until dark.....without any movement. Last night it was rather cool with light rain. This morning it is still cool and cloudy....temp. is 58 degrees. The swarm is still there. It has always been my understanding that a cast swarm will congregate someplace, stay maybe less that about 12 hours, and move into a new home. This swarm has been idol going on 40 hours. Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer any insight into their disposition?

Default Re: Swarm in trouble?

I have a swarm 20 yards from the hive they left from, I guess it's not a swarm now as they have been in that tree for almost 3 weeks now (Open air hive). I setup a swarm trap and baited a empty hive, tried to get them down several ways and ended up getting Poison Ivy rash... I'm done.

They have gotten smaller, at first I saw some Bees head back to the old hive and as the weeks have gone by it's half of what it use to be. The hive they left had no Queen, I just put a new Queen in this past week and am seeing eggs now and saw the marked Queen. But back to the swarm, it's 30 to 40 feet up a tree above wetlands and very difficult to get at. I'm curious how they will do once cold weather hits along with cold rain.
    What are words for when no one listens anymore.

Default Re: Swarm in trouble?

You could set up several swarm traps in different location different distances from your bees, then if you’re lucky you will catch them. I keep traps up all season, sometime I catch bees that aren't mine

A trick I used last year, I attached a frame of brood to a telescoping pole with wire. Then rested the frame on the swarm, 15 min later most of the swarm was surrounding the frame.

If you can throw a rock/hive tool with a string over a branch above the swarm you could hoist a frame up and lower is down. I have pondered using a bow and arrow.