Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Almost zero stores in August... do they have a chance if I feed heavily?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Matt903 
#1 ·
First year beekeeper, and I had queen trouble. I started with two tbh's and ended with one after one hive failed to successfully requeen and developed laying workers. The other hive also unsuccessfully tried to supercede, but I requeened them myself and then combined the two hives.

The new queen has been laying like mad since early July, and they've built up nicely, but what stores they had accumulated in the back of the hive prior to requeening have disappeared (7-8 completely empty combs), I presume to feed the brood, and there is very little honey stored above the brood nest. Lots of brood, no stores. None.

It is August in Wisconsin and the goldenrod is in full bloom, and that's about the end of the summer flow for us. If I start feeding now, do they even have a chance to survive the winter without any if their own honey?

#2 ·
There may be some honey stored around the perimeter of the brood frames. Certainly bees can survive a Wisconsin winter feeding on largely sugar. Whether your particular hive will, well there is only one way to find out, and that is to feed.

I suggest that you use approximately 2:1 syrup while the weather permits. That would be 5 lbs of sugar to 40 oz of water (5 cups of water).

#5 ·
I think one of my hives swarmed. I'm low on bees and honey. Lower on bees i think.Think I saw a virgin queen. Not sure why they swarmed. Plenty of room. Still got 20-30 lbs of honey but had twice that. I have got a good flow for now. Should I start feeding now or wait a while?

#6 ·
How can someone tell if a queen is a virgin or not? Is there a definitive answer, or is it just that a virgin is smaller and skinnier, kind of hard to know if there's nothing to compare her with. I found a rogue queen on the ground 6 to 8 feet from my hives, and have no idea if she is mated or not. Don't want to waste brood or resources trying to give her a colony if she's no good. Found her 5 days ago and put her in a cardboard nuc with the 5-6 bees who accompanied her. Gave a wet extracted frame, but it just got robbed out from other hives. But she's still alive and I can't figure out what to do with her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.