Default Top Bar Thickness

I just realized that the top bars I cut are 1" thick will this matter in the end? The plans I'm using indicate 3/4 thickness".

Thanks,

Rob

Default Re: Top Bar Thickness

Assuming that the 1" thickness you mention is in the vertical direction when the bars are installed in the hive, then there is no difference compared to 3/4" thick bars. If you have a flat roof resting on the bars, it will be 1/4" higher than otherwise. If you have some kind of hinged/peaked roof, of course you need to check that your roof design will work with the thicker bars.

You may find this page useful:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

DSCF1835.jpg As Radar says, just make sure your roof will cover.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Assuming that the 1" thickness you mention is in the vertical direction when the bars are installed in the hive, then there is no difference compared to 3/4" thick bars. If you have a flat roof resting on the bars, it will be 1/4" higher than otherwise. If you have some kind of hinged/peaked roof, of course you need to check that your roof design will work with the thicker bars.

You may find this page useful:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    Super! That makes sense.

Of Course I'm suck a rookie that the wood is actually 3/4" thick. My bigger problem is that the wood I bought displayed a size of 1 X 12 and it's actually 3/4 X 11 1/4. Should I ensure that they are 12" wide or will the volume be affected?

TY,

Rob

All lumber in the US is about 1/2 inch smaller than the size claimed at the store. It originally is the exact measurements as rough cut, but will milled it will be smaller. I think the exception to this is 1 inch thick would which is 1/4 inch smaller.

So a 2x4 is really 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

Hope this helps

> My bigger problem is that the wood I bought displayed a size of 1 X 12 and it's actually 3/4 X 11 1/4.

If this is in reference to the sides of the hive, then its fine to use what you have already. Very few dimensions in a TBH are critical once you get the width of the bars correct.

The difference in
    USA/Canada lumber between nominal and actual lumber measurements changes depending on board size. Here is a reference:
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/so...ns-d_1452.html

Note in particular the change between 1x6s and 1x8s. I got fooled by that in building my first TBH when I assumed and didn't measure!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Radar - I had never picked that up. Would have gotten me as well.