Default Can I feed Pollen patties right now?

Can I give my bees brood builder patties right now. To stimulate them. Also is it a good Idea to feed them HFCS right now? And where can I buy Corn syrup bulk in Oregon/Washington

Default Re: Can I feed Pollen patties right now?

Feeding bees the right pollen sub will give you stronger hives next spring assuming you got young queens and mites knocked down.

Call this # and ask for syrup in Portland. 1-888-553-8393
    You could also try Mann lake. They have syrup in Kent I believe.

But Can I feed them pollen patties so they will get stronger right now? and where do you recommend to get the patties or what the recipe

You can buy a box of protein patties from Mann Lake, though I question why you woul;d want to. Seems like there aught to be pollen coming in from the environment. I don't know if it is a good idea to do that now. You may not get the results that you are hoping for. It's not that instantaneous.

I think you may be trying to control something you don't need to. Bees make better beekeepers than beekeepers make bees.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    You can buy a box of protein patties from Mann Lake, though I question why you would want to. Seems like there aught to be pollen coming in from the environment. I don't know if it is a good idea to do that now. You may not get the results that you are hoping for. It's not that instantaneous.
    I'm feeding all my nucs with pollen patties although we're getting a good pollen flow. I believe they survive the winter better with good fall feed. You need to make sure your mite counts are low too.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I don't know if it is a good idea to do that now.
    Any time now Keith Jarrett is probably going to chime in and say something to the effect that feeding protein supplement in the fall puts more nutrition in the worker bees bodies making them more healthy and disease resistant going into winter whereas natural pollen will be either stored away or fed to brood.

Nutra Bee

Too which I would add that you need to plan what you are going to do with all those bees in the spring if you start now feeding sub, because they are likely to be very populous and prone to swarm if you don't plan to split or something first. That has been my experience, but it's a way better problem to have than weak sickly hives with small clusters.
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b

They only sell syrup in 50,000 gallon tanks

Or 5 gallon buckets. Isn't that available in the catalogs? BetterBee sells it that way.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

If you show up with your totes and barrels they will fill them up for you.

Mann lake charges 37 cents per pound i found 55 gallon barrels for 19 cents a pound

It certainly will not hurt to feed protein, but don't feed more than they can use. Check to see how much pollen they are hauling in and how much is in the hive -- there must be a fair amount this time of year as the winter dearth will be starting and if they don't have enough, you get weak bees.

Our climate here is different, but we've had good luck with a pound per hive of pollen supplement in September, fed in smaller amounts (hive beetles love it too). Nice fat bees make for nice clusters and plenty of resources for making winter brood and hence large, strong hives in spring.

Peter

Does Mann lakes pro health help right now?

Pro health increases robbing but also increases syrup intake. Any weak hives could easily get robbed to death. I use it in my sub and syrup.

Some people believe in it while others dont. Ever since I started using it hives never had nosema.

My nucs are still drawing comb while being fed both Pro Health and syrup. Wouldn't do that without it.