Default Ulster Hive - Mann Lake or Brushy Mountain?

Although I'm planning on building an either 8 or 10 frame permanent observation hive this winter I'd like pick up an Ulster style observation hive for the time being so I can do a few beekeeping demos at my daughter's school. Both the Mann Lake and Brushy Mountain versions appear to be very similar. Does anybody here know how/if they differ or could you recommend one over another?

Default Re: Ulster Hive - Mann Lake or Brushy Mountain?

I wanted to get the Ulster so I was really happy to see that Mann Lake is finally selling them------for the same price as Brushy Mt (ML= $145.95, BM=145.00) but Mann Lake has free shipping! (The shipping price is a killer!)

I called Mann Lake before ordering, and I'm so glad I did. The Mann Lake hive doesn't have a queen excluder built in, Brushy Mt does. Brushy Mt also includes a feeder which Mann Lake doesn't. The BIG issue for me was that the Mann Lake has a solid bottom board permanently attached. Brushy Mt has a screened bottom board with a slider board if you want to close it off.

I bought the Brushy Mt one. And I'm glad I did.

I had it at the County Fair last week for 3 days. The weather was hot and there was no AC in the building. I put a frame feeder with water in the hive. (the frames had bees, brood, pollen and honey). With the screened bottom, vents on top, and water in the hive, the bees kept it at the right temp and did excellently the whole three days.

No way would I have done that without a screened bottom. I don't think they would have survived closed up for 3 days in the solid bottomed Mann Lake hive. I'd just rather be safe than sorry.

But, that's just my opinion. Maybe someone else has experience with the Mann Lake Ulster.

(Also, I bought mine to use at the Fair where it would be used for days (as well as just short presentations at schools etc). If you are only going to have the bees in it a few hours the solid bottom is probably okay).

Thanks for the first hand info. Sounds like an no-brainer with the extra ventilation. I think I remember reading on Michael Bush's site something about the bee space being too tight for brood to hatch with modding the hive. Do you know if this is a still a problem?

My wife and I ordered the Brushy Mountain observation hive today, and you're making me glad we did.

When we picked up our nucs a few weeks back, we were warned that that cardboard nuc boxes they came in had essentially no ventilation once the plastic plug went in the entrance. Best I can tell, they're Mann Lakes. Apart from the entrance, the only ventilation is a few pinholes in either end. They also apparently developed a load of condensation on the top covers. We've cut out holes and installed screens in the ends so we can use them for swarms, etc. Sounds like Mann Lakes doesn't appreciate ventilation.
    Last edited by Phoebee; 05-28-2014 at 02:47 PM.

I have a Brushy Mountain OH and used it yesterday for a presentation at a fair. We had no issues except I wish I had marked the queen! Kids love to hunt her down and unless you have incredible patience or a queen who stays put, you'll have nightmares of queen hunting. If you are not in a hurry BM usually offers free shipping (at least east of the Mississippi) around Thanksgiving.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I bought the Brushy Mt one. And I'm glad I did.