Thread: tiny queen

Default tiny queen

i have this hive from a cutout. first of August i damaged the queen trying clip her wings. 2 queen cells a few days later, now 18 days later i saw lots of activity and i thought robbing. i went in for a look. no fighting anywhere, no sign of robbing, they were happy but no eggs. there was this bee smaller than some of the bees, but acting queenlike, her back was shiny, she got fed from the other bees, looked into comb like a queen but so small. my thoughts are this was a virgin just back from mating and being fed royal jelly but not laying yet. any thoughts? jim

Default Re: tiny queen

I think you are on the money with your thoughts. A photo would be great for proper indentification.

Default Re: tiny queen

Quote Originally Posted by seamuswildflower View Post
    i have this hive from a cutout. first of August i damaged the queen trying clip her wings. 2 queen cells a few days later, now 18 days later i saw lots of activity and i thought robbing. i went in for a look. no fighting anywhere, no sign of robbing, they were happy but no eggs. there was this bee smaller than some of the bees, but acting queenlike, her back was shiny, she got fed from the other bees, looked into comb like a queen but so small. my thoughts are this was a virgin just back from mating and being fed royal jelly but not laying yet. any thoughts? jim
    Virgin queens are definitely smaller than mature (older) queens. However they still have a longer abdomen, and still have that overall queen appearance. You are probably looking at a virgin queen, but you should have been able to notice the longer abdomen.